• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photo Critique (1 Viewer)

BenjiS

Ginga Ninja
England
Took these last saturday with a Canon EOS 7D and a 75-300mm lens, would like to know how to make them better if possible

Thanks in Advance

Attachments

• Wigeon 1.png
    Wigeon 1.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 53
  • Wigeon 4.png
    Wigeon 4.png
    7.8 MB · Views: 53
Took these last saturday with a Canon EOS 7D and a 75-300mm lens, would like to know how to make them better if possible

Thanks in Advance
Here is a quick treatment with Topaz Photo AI. One can of course fiddle with the settings (noise, sharpness).

Attachments

• Wigeon 1-topaz.jpeg
    Wigeon 1-topaz.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 36
  • Wigeon 4-topaz.jpeg
    Wigeon 4-topaz.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 35
Here is a quick treatment with Topaz Photo AI. One can of course fiddle with the settings (noise, sharpness)
Impressive what the AI can pull from png files. Using Photo AI for a few weeks and the Denoise and Sharpening Modules before I started now to dig into some old stuff to see what can now be salvaged using the now tools.
I was going to suggest some denoising and sharpening as well, but a lot of that depends on the software/hardware available.
Using LR or PS some of the shadows can be pulled up a bit and colors cleared up.
Trial versions of all the software is available to get some first hand insight, but be beware that AI needs fast hardware, otherwise it becomes a pain in the ..... to work with.

I have found good results with DeNoise, but Sharpen AI often results in artifacts and a 'waxy' appearance which I don't like. I use it, but in very careful doses. Photo AI - perhaps I just haven't mastered it - does poorly for me. I attribute it to fact that bird feathering is VERY complex and algorithms feck it up.

I have found good results with DeNoise, but Sharpen AI often results in artifacts and a 'waxy' appearance which I don't like. I use it, but in very careful doses. Photo AI - perhaps I just haven't mastered it - does poorly for me. I attribute it to fact that bird feathering is VERY complex and algorithms feck it up.
Given the frequent, almost weekly updates for Photo AI I think we are still involved in beta testing it. I do not use the "Auto Pilot" in P-AI, and in manual mode the sharpening is very "sensitive" and I usually stay way left with both sliders.

Unfortunately, whatever editing programs you used, the EXIF has been stripped so no one can see what settings were used.
So no one can help with your camera settings

As for processing, I had a go too, and this is what i came up with.
The original is quite noisy and has some areas of blow out when you see the full file size, but have done some adjustments in CS6 extended

Wigeon 4-topaz.jpg
The original

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back