• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photo file size - why different? (1 Viewer)

Wickham

Skype username wickham43 (I have video)
I took two photos today, both 1024 x 768 TIF and the original file size of both is 2319 KB.

I reduced the sizes for Birdforum.

One is 778 x 578 px, (449,684 square px) and is 58 KB as a jpg, taken as f 5.6 at 1/250.

The other is 703 x 566 px (397,898 square px) and is 121 KB as a jpg, taken as f5.0 at 1/400.

Why is the bigger jpg photo the smaller file size?

Wickham said:
I took two photos today, both 1024 x 768 TIF and the original file size of both is 2319 KB.

One is 778 x 578 px, (449,684 square px) and is 58 KB as a jpg, taken as f 5.6 at 1/250.

The other is 703 x 566 px (397,898 square px) and is 121 KB as a jpg, taken as f5.0 at 1/400.

It's he result of the jpeg compression algorithm. The eventual file size depends on such factors as the amount of detail in the picture.

Alan

Wickham said:

Were they both saved at the same jpg compression setting?

Roy C said:
Were they both saved at the same jpg compression setting?
They were saved within seconds of each other using Irfanview and I did not change any settings.

I just cropped the sizes and saved as jpg. There is a window in Irfanview which asks for quality setting (it's on 80% at present) but I didn't alter it.

The one that was larger but had the smaller jpg file size has an out of focus green background (the close up photo of the dragonfly) while the other was a max zoom photo of fox cubs and has in focus detailed surround.

Last edited:
Don't worry about it. JPEGs always tend to save at differing sizes. If there's a lot of relatively flat colour in the image (such as blurred backgrounds), this takes less space to save. Hence flight shots with lots of blue sky tend to be a lot smaller than shots of birds in trees, where there is a lot of detail to record.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back