• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photography Competition: Brazilian Birds (decent prizes too!) (1 Viewer)

Charlie M

Last year I was fortunate enough to make a day visit to the wonderful eco-lodge at Parque do Zizo in São Paulo state, eastern Brazil. My guide on the day was Guto Carvalho, a local conservationist with a passion for protecting the environment at the Parque, and I promised him if there was ever anything I could do to help promote the Parque and the Atlantic Rainforest he just had to ask...

Well, he's asked, and what Guto would like me to draw to your attention to is a photography competition - with a first prize worth around 1950GBP/3800USDollars at current exchange rates!

The judges include some well known names - Josep Del Hoyo (from Lynx Edicions) and Arthur Grosset for example - and the photos must be of wild Brazilian birds taken in Brazil (which I know probably rules a few photographers out unfortunately). It would be truly magnificent if the winners could perhaps see their way to donating all/some of the money back to help fund conservation projects in the region...

A summary of the competition is given below, or you could just go straight to the official website - the english-language homepage is at http://www.avistarbrasil.com.br/concurso/index_eng.html

The Avistar-Itaú BBA Photo Contest was created to stimulate the documentation and conservation of Brazilian birds. It is an Avistar-O ECO initiative, sponsored exclusively by Itaú BBA Bank.
The subject of the contest is “Brazilian Birds.” It is open to
amateur as well as professional photographers, whether Brazilian or
not. Each participant may submit up to four photographs. Every
photograph entered will compete in both categories (Best Photo and
Best Record).

Every photograph must have as the main theme a wild Brazilian bird,
photographed in its natural habitat. The photographs may be taken
either with a conventional (film) or digital camera, but all entries
must be submitted as JPEG files with a maximum file size of 600Kb each.

Entries will be accepted from January 30 to April 10, 2007.

The entries will be judged by an international jury composed of
recognized authorities from the fields of nature photography and
ornithology. The jury’s decisions will be unappealable and final.

Prizes for each category:

1st place R$8,000.00
2nd place R$5,000.00
3rd place R$ 2,000.00
Honorable mention R$500.00 (10 for each category)

The prizes granted to the photographers will constitute an acquisition of authorial rights in accordance with the enclosed cession contract. All prizes in Brazilian Reais. Brazilian taxes may apply for non-residents.

Please read the rules [available from the official site] and contracts carefully.
Rights to the photographs that are not selected will remain in the possession of their authors.

Sounds like something you'd like to have a go at? You've got until April 10th to get the photos in - which, let's face it, actually gives you enough time to get to Brazil, take a REALLY GOOD photo, enter it in the competition, and win the cost of your trip back!! How good is that..

By teh way, if you'd like some info on Parque do Zizo - a truly fantastic place go to Parque do Zizo

Charlie
www.charliesbirdblog.com

Last edited:
Very nice initiative, Charlie!
Unfortunately my pictures are very poor quality ones, but good luck to the competitors. Avistar 2007 will be in May.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back