• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit at Nyika NP / Malawi 12rd of March (2 Viewers)

bubo_bubo

A pipit kept running in front of me in Nyika NP. I could then take a picture in a still position. I take it to be one of the pipits depicted in Zimmermann's "Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania", the Long-billed Pipit. The beak is suitably long and flesh colored at the base. But this also applies to the images of the African Pipit depicted in Ian Sinclair's "Birds of Africa, south of the Sahara". I had doubt, that Long-billed Pipit does occur so far to the south-east. But I see, that eBird shows entry for Long-billed Pipit for Nyika NP. Scanning the images I'm not so sure anymore. Attention: the 3rd Pipit is a different bird...

Thanks for ID to the experts. Cheers

Johannes

Attachments

• Long-billed Pipit _DSC22124.jpg
    Long-billed Pipit _DSC22124.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Long-billed Pipit _DSC22122.jpg
    Long-billed Pipit _DSC22122.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Long-billed Pipit_DSC22176.jpg
    Long-billed Pipit_DSC22176.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 23