• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Plain-backed" Thrush ID, Eaglenest, India (1 Viewer)

Ficedula

velico ergo sum
Recent experience of Sichuan Forest Thrush and Alpine Thrush in China has prompted me to review my pre-split records from Eaglenest. The individual in attached photos was at Bompu Camp approximately 2000m 2 April 2015 in very misty conditions along the road just below the camp. Hitherto I have assumed them to be Alpine Thrush on winter grounds, but I note that nearly all photos of Alpine Thrush, whether winter or summer, are in relatively open areas, whereas my bird is in enclosed forest alongside Long-tailed Thrush and Scaly Thrush.

Alstrom (2016) states "In the nonbreeding season, the Alpine Thrush appears to favour feeding in fairly open areas, such as pastures bordering forest and forest glades. Specimens of Alpine Thrush from the non-breeding season (September–April) with elevation label data were collected at 300–3505 m a.s.l."

Conversely "In the non-breeding season, the Himalayan Forest Thrush appears to favour dense broadleaved forest; only five specimens of this taxon have elevational label data, ranging from 1439 to 3200 m a.s.l. in the non-breeding
season (September–April)."

So potentially both species could be at the altitude of Bompu in April. The relatively large bill, that appears to be entirely dark, and the strong, well marked subocular/moustachial area both point to Himalayan Forest Thrush.

What have other people concluded about "Plain-backed" Thrushes at Bompu or elsewhere in Eaglenest, especially post-split?

Can my photos be confirmed from these photos by anyone with experience of Himalayan Forest Thrush?

Attachments

• 0904Plain-backed Thrush Bompu Camp 2.4.15x.jpg
    0904Plain-backed Thrush Bompu Camp 2.4.15x.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 0905Plain-backed Thrush Bompu Camp 2.4.15x.jpg
    0905Plain-backed Thrush Bompu Camp 2.4.15x.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 0906Plain-backed Thrush Bompu Camp 2.4.15x.jpg
    0906Plain-backed Thrush Bompu Camp 2.4.15x.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 13
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back