• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

planet earth (1 Viewer)

Perhaps criticism is because standards of BBC are set very high. No other station had its programme mentioned, not just discussed here.

I hope BBC will not make conclusion and lower its standards. ;)

jurek said:
Perhaps criticism is because standards of BBC are set very high. No other station had its programme mentioned, not just discussed here.

I hope BBC will not make conclusion and lower its standards. ;)

That's it precisely Jurek. Standards. The excellent standards of camerawork are being let down by sloppy post-production that you would just never have seen 10 years ago, before their Discovery Channel collaborations. It's supposed to be reliable and authoratative, yet there are errors and questionable methods. Some might find that acceptable in a factual science programme (cos that's what it's billed as), but I don't. Before you know it, we'll be back at the standards of Gentle Ben.

Gentle Ben thats a blast from the past. Looking back it was great the way at the end of the programme it made you think how cruel the locals were for not letting a 500lb bear roam around the local neighbourhood. better than flipper, as also ben would have the odd confrontation with another hard animal like escaped lion or something.

SAFM said:
It really is a great series some of the footage is amazing.

Scott
hi yes its a great series . has anyone seen the new one on uktv history think its called earth story? on at 9pm each evening . brilliant ! sue :cat:

sue webster said:
hi yes its a great series . has anyone seen the new one on uktv history think its called earth story? on at 9pm each evening . brilliant ! sue :cat:

yep Earth Story is excellent, watching the re-run on UKTVHistory

sue webster said:

A really good educational series. I saw it first time around and have been watching a few of the reruns.

Also watched Planet Earth again last night, again wonderful images but it is coffee table tv, lots of gloss, extremely well done but missing something. My workmates thought the same. Maybe we've seen far too many wildlife programmes since the 1960's and expect nothing but the absolute best from the BBC.

Congo was mentioned at work today, seems to be popular. I enjoyed it first time around.

I have to disagree about Planet Earth, though, there's no need to nitpick that when there are programmes like Wifeswap and I'm a Celebrity on TV!
Lol very good point ... I also enjoyed Planet Earth ... I agree also that silence would be
worse ... So if you take away the Music and Sound effect's ... What you got?,
I guess "Serious" Naturalist's want BBC to plug a Mike on the Ground a few Week's before the shooting so they have sound aswell ... Not sure the Snow
Leopard's would welcome that ...
I'm sorry but Planet Earth was entertaining ... Yeah "Some" false sound
effect's and nice Music is'nt enough to put me off watching it again,
The amazing Camera Work and the amount of Time it took to do all this
should make "Most" member's here enjoy footage you would'nt usually see,

Come on ... Enjoy it rather than put it down ... I liked every Minute of it,
False sound effect's and Music did'nt ruin the footage,
Next Time it's repeated ... Turn your volume down and stop moaning, ;) ,
By the way Poecile you were asked a Question on another thread you
started but never did answer them ... Where's the Site that Member's gave
you picture's for?, I'd like to see that and the Member's photo's on it,
I've looked for it but can't find it ... Thank's,
Please All don't take my post as offensive as it's not intended to be,
Just "My" point of view,
Thank's all for a juicy thread lol,
Take care,

P.s. .... If Planet Earth 2 ever come's out ... What's the betting that
the People that put it down will watch it, ;) ,
But make sure you find the fault's rather than enjoy it eh ;) ,

Last edited:
>Lol very good point ...

That's like saying that this milk is only 3 weeks out of date, but at least it isn't 5 weeks, so we'll drink it. Yes, it's better than Wife Swap, but it's still not as good as they've done before, which means that they've actually dipped in form. Sorry for expecting excellence from my publicly-funded broadcaster...

>By the way Poecile you were asked a Question on another thread you
>started but never did answer them ...

Apologies, but I never saw that. Someone could have PM'd me if it was important, as I don't trawl through threads all day.

>Where's the Site that Member's gave you picture's for?,

Those who gave pictures have been pointed to it. I don't really feel the need to point anyone else to it on here, but if someone else wants to then that's up to them.

>P.s. .... If Planet Earth 2 ever come's out ... What's the betting that
>the People that put it down will watch it, ;) ,
>But make sure you find the fault's rather than enjoy it eh ;) ,[/QUOTE]

I'll have a look to see what it's like, but if it's much like this one then I wont go out of my way to catch it again. Y'see, it's like when you see a programme or read an article on something that you actually know about quite well, and see the errors and the fact-bending, and then realise that everything's probably like that on the whole. I mean, I don't know anything about policework, so I can watch Inspector Morse or Touch of Frost and enjoy it. I bet coppers hate it though. Planet Earth's like that for me. It's a drama show, masquerading as a documentary.

Poecile It's a drama show said:
Not as dramatic as US wildlife docs, they really do dramatise everything. Aweful to listen to.

I'll watch the next part in the autumn. Why? I like pretty pictures. I suppose I'll just accept it for what it is, a pretty picture show, not as an educational, thought provoking, documentary. As a pretty picture show there is none better!

Dipper said:
Poecile It's a drama show said:
Not as dramatic as US wildlife docs, they really do dramatise everything. Aweful to listen to.

But that's exactly it, Dipper! We're gradually sliding towards that, thanks to BBC getting into bed with Discovery. It never used to be like that. Just see how Horizon has gone, too. The epitome was that jaw-droppingly awful Animal Crime Scene, or whatever it was called, where it was all set up like a murder investigation. Using graphics that somehow indicated that animals were military machines that were able to throw graticules over landscapes and 'lock on' to targets. It was like Top Gun with lions. Fair enough if this is entertainment, but it's made by the Natural History Unit. Natural History is science.

Why is the UK following the USA in everything? Whatever happened to taking the lead? The BBC Natural History Unit was the shining light of the BBC but its core audience, the amateur naturalist is being sidelined in favour of a more general audience, why? Ratings, I suppose, across the Pond. As I've said previously the BBC has new toys to play with and cannot leave them alone. Sure the final result looks great but all those computer graphics on some programmes are so distracting to long time viewers like me, but to young viewers raised on a diet of computer games, sound bites and short attention spans it is ideal. Will it bring in new, young, naturalists? I don't see many young people on nature reserves apart from school groups and the like. At a recent local Butterfly Conservation meeting there was one young person, most of the rest were older than me.

Dipper said:
Why is the UK following the USA in everything? Whatever happened to taking the lead? The BBC Natural History Unit was the shining light of the BBC but its core audience, the amateur naturalist is being sidelined in favour of a more general audience, why? Ratings, I suppose, across the Pond. As I've said previously the BBC has new toys to play with and cannot leave them alone. Sure the final result looks great but all those computer graphics on some programmes are so distracting to long time viewers like me, but to young viewers raised on a diet of computer games, sound bites and short attention spans it is ideal. Will it bring in new, young, naturalists? I don't see many young people on nature reserves apart from school groups and the like. At a recent local Butterfly Conservation meeting there was one young person, most of the rest were older than me.

And if those kids ever do venture onto a nature reserve, wont they find it incredibly boring, after watching high-speed actions of kills and fights and crash-bang-wallops in some kind of vido-game interface?

I'm only 30, and it's alienating me already.

Going on recent events, birding with me should ensure plenty of crash bang wallop, blood and gore, semi-automatic weapons...........

Poecile said:
I'm only 30, and it's alienating me already.

I think most people such shows awful. Reason that they exist is maximalisation of audience. To maximise audience, programs are produced for cretins. The idea is that normal person will, unhappily, suffer through bad movie, but an idiot will not watch average program.

Another is unwillingness to risk. Producer wants certainity that program sells - so it is better to use cliche for 1000th time than innovate. Yet another crocodile wrestling? Yet another stag at sunset? Yet another sequel?

In wildlife shows, these flashes, computer animations etc. are used as 'fillers' to fill time. Programs about dinosaurs use blurred shots of moving vegetation 'as if dinosaur walked throught the forest' for the same purpose. Both make my eyes ache and I zap. Third pathetic thing is mixing unrelated shots of predator and prey and pretending, that one stalks another.

Apologies, but I never saw that. Someone could have PM'd me if it was important, as I don't trawl through threads all day.
Neither do i trawl through thread's all Day ... But i generally look at One's i
posted on, Maybe not old One's i guess ...

Those who gave pictures have been pointed to it. I don't really feel the need to point anyone else to it on here, but if someone else wants to then that's up to them.
Mmmm ... That's a few Time's you've not felt the need to share this site,
I'm quite curious why ... I find BirdForum very helpful and giving to be honest,

but you would'nt share this when people asked on your post ...
I've no idea why you don't give the link ... I'm no "Inspector Frost" ...
I'm just a Guy who's trying to gain knowledge by reading site's and collecting
info on this subject ... To be honest when i read your "Want" for picture's
i thought it was a nice gesture to Birder's on here to show off there work,
I would of certainly gave you mine at the Time if they were good enough ...
I'd of been very proud in doing that ... I did'nt understand why people jumped
on you like they did,

>Lol very good point ...

That's like saying that this milk is only 3 weeks out of date, but at least it isn't 5 weeks, so we'll drink it. Yes, it's better than Wife Swap, but it's still not as good as they've done before, which means that they've actually dipped in form. Sorry for expecting excellence from my publicly-funded broadcaster...
Expecting "Excellence" from the BBC for £134 a Year you won't get ...
You are right about the "Dip" though ... Totally agree with you there,
I must admit i did Enjoy the Older wildlife programme's better ... Less
False sound's etc,
If the BBC can charge Blind People £65.75 a Year to listen to there TV then
to me something is wrong, What next? ... Charge them for listening to there
Radio station's ... Maybe they already do,

I'll have a look to see what it's like, but if it's much like this one then I wont go out of my way to catch it again. Y'see, it's like when you see a programme or read an article on something that you actually know about quite well, and see the errors and the fact-bending, and then realise that everything's probably like that on the whole. I mean, I don't know anything about policework, so I can watch Inspector Morse or Touch of Frost and enjoy it. I bet coppers hate it though. Planet Earth's like that for me. It's a drama show, masquerading as a documentary.
Yet again i totally agree with you ... You see i was'nt trying to be offensive
to you but it seem's you thought i was ... You obviously know your stuff
and of course you will criticise, I would do the same, But not so harsh
... as i'm sure you did enjoy the footage and appreciated the hard work
they had done ... of course dampened by the Sound's,

Anyway ... We could "Quote" each other all Day and Night as you know ...
We could argue this until Nelson find's his eye lol but i'm sure we won't,

I would like to see your site as i have a interest in Bird photography but if
not then no prob's and good luck with it, Funding Website's is'nt easy ...
making One is difficult too and is very slow to take off,
I hope it goe's well ... You take care,
All the Best,
John,
P.s. .... If your looking for "Not Bad" picture's of Wren's then i'm your Man lol,
Take care, ;) ,

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back