• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plate compatability for rapid switching from Radian Pro GT tripod to window mount (1 Viewer)

Hi all,
We have an old-but-OK Radian Pro GT tripod that originally came from Eagle Optics. We'd like to be able to rapidly move a spotting scope from this tripod to a window mount (a Big Day is coming up) without removing the QR plate. Hence my question: what other brand(s) of heads might this plate be compatible with? Disclaimer: I'm not too hopeful unless Radian was cloning a more common model. Top and bottom of the plates are seen here. Less visible is the fact that the ends are flat while the sides are sloped. Any leads (and compatible window mount recommendations) are greatly appreciated!

IMG_1566.JPG

Not advertising, but this mechanism and plate (from what I can see) on a well-known auction site looks very similar? BUT ironically this window mount product has a loopy design flaw, with no way to change elevation of scope because the "tilt" is in the wrong axis, allowing one only to tilt the scope sideways (!)

similar mount.jpg

Last edited:
Those quick release plates look very much like Manfrotto. On some Manfrotto heads they were mounted tansversely, on others longitudinally. If your QR plate is mounted longitudinally then the model depicted above would only give you lateral tilt and pan, whereas what you need is vertical tilt and pan.
If you bought a Manfrotto car window pod 243 you could attach a 700RC2 2-way head, which should work satisfactorily.

John

Those quick release plates look very much like Manfrotto...
Superficially similar in some ways to Manfrotto 200PL but there are some obvious differences as well.

SecondHandBirder,
If, by some chance, the Manfrotto clamp for the 200PL is compatible, you could add to a window pod, as I describe in the following post:

--AP

I used a junior hacksaw to cut the bolt of opticron window mount and fitted a swiss arca plate now I can switch from camera to binoculars but have yet to find a compatible swiss arca head for my scope these Opticron window mounts are pretty durable and can be picked up cheaply.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back