• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please Help (2 Viewers)

Grandson

United States
I am a casual birder but my grandpa is a HUGE birder. I live in Colorado and he is coming to visit in April. He wants to see a Sage Grouse Lek and a Pinyon Jay (not necessarily in the same day). Where should I take him?

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

I would strongly suggest that you call your local Audubon Society and ask them where you can possible find the birds you mentioned. Good Luck and please keep us updated :)

Hi Grandson and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi Grandson, welcome to BF!
The BF State thread for Colorado has some possibly useful links, including this one: http://www.siskadee.org/index.html
Of course the first step is as KC Foggin recommends, call your local Audubon.
Step two is check out EBird for your target species, that is usually a lot more detailed, with the annual and monthly sighting totals.

Full Disclosure: I've never seen a Sage Grouse lek, so discount my input accordingly.
Plus my recollection is that Colorado is not small, are travel times an issue?

Hi Grandson. Welcome to the Forum.

The "traditional" spot for lekking Sage Grouse is near a town called Coalmont which is in the North Park area of the state between Denver and Steamboat Springs. The actual lek locations are sometimes kept secret to protect the birds, but local birders should have the info on the sites.

Pinyon Jay is a lower elevation species (lower being a relative thing in Colorado ;)). It seems to be found in the intermontane areas south and west of Denver. The Buena Vista / Salida area seems to be a pretty good location for them within a few hours of Denver.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back