• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please ID this vulture (2 Viewers)

Ains

Today snapped 4 vultures the other three I have identified as Himilayan griffon immature, and the one I've posted because of its morph I'm unfamiliar with its identity. Please Id this vulture/griffon.
Location Mount Abu Rajasthan India.

id 0F4A9642.JPG

This is one of the other 4 birds. I snapped today. Thanks, Butty, I'll go with an immature Himalayan vulture.

Himalayan Griffon - Gyps himalayensis 0F4A9565.JPG

Yes, both are Himalayan Vultures. The first bird is first-year and second bird second-year. In this slowly maturing and moulting species the first two age classes are very similar, especially in (quite frequent) cases like this when no secondaries are moulted during the second calendar year. Also the next age class will not be too different.

Compared to first-year White-rumped: huge wings compared to very small head with very pale feathering, longish tail and long undertail-coverts, broad body. Compared to first-year Eurasian Griffon: darker colder brown body plumage with more prominent streaking, narrower pale bars on underwing coverts.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back