• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please identify this swallow. (1 Viewer)

Ains

A flock of these birds came every evening to perch on the radio tower. I took this snap yesterday, November 7, 2023.
ID 0F4A0112.JPG

1) I can't help you in this particular situation, but maybe the link below can assist you in field/photo identification of certain swallow species in the future. The text also mentions calls of swallows/martins, and I also think they are very useful to know, at least in Europe.

2) Do you regularly use binoculars while looking at birds, or do you typically observe them with the naked eye (there are different preferences among birdwatchers)?

It's a Delichon sp in suspended wing moult, most likely Western (Common) House Delichon urbicum at this location, presumably en route to winter quarters in SW India from Central Asian breeding grounds. There is an apparent absence of contrasting dark underwing coverts which would indicate Asian House D. dasypus though given the poor quality of the image possibly not safely excluded.

The sole record in India of Siberian House D. lagopodum involved a flock of c30 birds observed in Arunachal Pradesh on 29 October 2008 and so that species can be considered very unlikely though it cannot be excluded from your image.

Ideally, one would require good quality images, above and below, to confirm identification to species level.

Grahame

Do you regularly use binoculars while looking at birds, or do you typically observe them with the naked eye (there are different preferences among birdwatchers)?
If you do, you might want to try phonescoping to get a bit sharper photos (I assume the above was taken by the phone):

1) I can't help you in this particular situation, but maybe the link below can assist you in field/photo identification of certain swallow species in the future. The text also mentions calls of swallows/martins, and I also think they are very useful to know, at least in Europe.

2) Do you regularly use binoculars while looking at birds, or do you typically observe them with the naked eye (there are different preferences among birdwatchers)?
Appreciated, Thanks for the link. No, I don't use binoculars. I view my birds through my camera lens.
Cheers
Ains

Users who are viewing this thread

Back