• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Political Unrest in Ecuador (1 Viewer)

Ecuadorrebel

Writer, Photographer, Guide
Just thought that I would update what is happening in Ecuador for anyone out there who is contemplating a visit to the the country in the near future.

Although there were some tense moments last night as the police tried to storm the hospital where the Ecuadorian president was, that situation is now under control and the president is back in the palace and in charge. Though I do not agree with all of the policies of Correa and the government, it is much better than a police state.

The biggest problem at this moment is the lack of a police force. The military is keeping peace as a new police chief has been appointed and is trying to reconstruct the security forces. The city is pretty much back to normal but the lack of the police can cause some safety problems. We will see what happens today but I believe the country will be back to normal by Monday.

My assessment at this time is that if you have any plans of traveling to Ecuador in the new future that you should not have any problems. I will provide more information as things develop.

Good luck to you and everyone else living in Ecuador, I had read the reports yesterday with some worry. I hope things are back to normal soon.

Niels

Take care Steve. Thanks for keeping us up to date.

D

Thanks for the update. I actually just heard about the situation on NPR this morning, and I was worried. My husband and I will be traveling to Ecuador at the end of this year. Hope everything calms down quickly!

Thanks, everyone, for your concern. I have been living here for over 10 years and I have seen 8 presidents during that time. (None of them seem to make it through a full term.) Although I don't fully agree with the president or the Assembly, this is the most stable the government has been in many years. I am not too concerned but I am a little cautious. I am more concerned about the lack of a police force as there was already an increase in crime due to the worldwide economic situation. But I am hopeful for a return to normalcy. I am planning on doing a little birding this weekend so it won't stop me from concentrating on my priorities. Right now it just means an extra holiday. But I will keep you posted. This is a great birding area and I don't want politics to get in the way of protecting what we have.

Thanks again

Yes, thank you Steve.

I am not planning a return visit anytime soon (I wish!), but was getting quite concerned for the good people I've met there. More for the adverse publicity (and consequent economic fallout) than for any concern about their physical safety; none of them are in Quito. But I just know that, here in NA, any news of this kind will tend to have an overwhelming effect on people's perception of any Meso- or South-American country - usually very unfairly.

Good luck,

Peter C.

Yes, thank you Steve.

I am not planning a return visit anytime soon (I wish!), but was getting quite concerned for the good people I've met there. More for the adverse publicity (and consequent economic fallout) than for any concern about their physical safety; none of them are in Quito. But I just know that, here in NA, any news of this kind will tend to have an overwhelming effect on people's perception of any Meso- or South-American country - usually very unfairly.

Good luck,

Peter C.

I understand your concern. I read this morning that there is some economic repercussions already. They were not considered a great investment area after they defaulted on loans back in 2008 and this has just made it worse. I also read this morning that this one day of unrest cost $11million, a big portion of that because they couldn't ship 350 tons of roses. We will see what happens in the days to come.

Just a quick update; as I had suspected everything appears to be back to normal this morning. There is a greater military presence due to the lack of a police force, but a new Chief of Police has been appointed and is working on the situation. If anyone is traveling here soon there should be no problems, but I would be more careful when sightseeing in the more obscure parts of the city, simply because the lack of police security will bring out the wrong element. If you have any specific questions or concerns you are welcome to contact me.

Thanks for the updates, Steve.

I'm heading for Ecuador this Friday, Oct. 8th, but I'm immediately heading to the Oriente Saturday morning and won't be back in Quito until Wednesday, Oct. 13th. From there it's on to Mindo and San Isidro. Even with the extended state of emergency, from everything I've heard I'm assuming that things will be fine for us tourists.

And good luck to the people who have to live there.

Hey Jeff,

You should have no problems. Things are pretty much moving as normal. If I can do anything to help let me know.

Have a great trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back