• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

POLL: Is The RSPB worth Joining ? (1 Viewer)

Is The RSPB worth Joining ?

• YES

Votes: 132 95.0%
  • NO

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tim Allwood said:
I wish some of the folks picking the RSPB to bits would do as much for bird conservation as the RSPB employees do. It's easy to moan, takes real dedication to put a lot of energy and committment into doing something.
Well, yes, but... why do you suppose they don't, Tim?

(-;

Everyone has a limit to their resources of 'energy and commitment' and sometimes other (non bird) issues are judged more important.
Too much generalisation doesn't assist the debate.

Grousemore said:
Everyone has a limit to their resources of 'energy and commitment' and sometimes other (non bird) issues are judged more important.
Too much generalisation doesn't assist the debate.
Well put - and the insinuation, probably quite unintended - that some of us are less active about conservation than we should be is a touch unfair.

scampo said:
Well put - and the insinuation, probably quite unintended - that some of us are less active about conservation than we should be is a touch unfair.

I'm not sure how an insinuation can be 'unintended'...but in any event, there was none.I didn't mention conservation at all.

I was pointing out that banging on about bird conservation, whilst wholly laudable, ignores the fact that some people's time is taken up with other important issues in life and they should not feel guilty about not actively supporting those for which time is not available.

Last edited:
nah course not intended Steve - you know me! If i meant that, I would've said it! ;)

we all do what we can in our own way......and i guess none of us is doing enough o:)

not getting involved further.....

Last edited:
Grousemore said:
I'm not sure how an insinuation can be 'unintended'...but in any event, there was none.I didn't mention conservation at all.

I was pointing out that banging on about bird conservation, whilst wholly laudatory, ignores the fact that some people's time is taken up with other important issues in life and they should not feel guilty about not actively supporting those for which time is not available.
Sorry, Trevor - I can now see I was very unclear in my reply. I was not at all referring to your post at this point, but to the post (Tim's) to which you were referring. Apologies again.

Tim Allwood said:
nah course not intended Steve - you know me! If i meant that, I would've said it! ;)

we all do what we can in our own way......and i guess none of us is doing enough o:)

btw Trevor I didn't say that above...where did you get it from? I said that people who whinge about the RSPB ought to look at what they themselves do.....nothing else. Too much insinuation on here and not enough reading what is actually written.
Well - you seem to do plenty, yourself, Tim. I can only assume that your lifestyle, as well as your verve, allows it... I wish I could come close.

Steve

it's a passion from seeing at first hand what is happening to birds in certain places.... means some weekends not birding and lots of late, late nights.

more energy than sense maybe though

btw if you wanna edit something for us (with your excellent backgroud in English) I can send you something (30 mins work one evening, not scientific - no pressure) You can do it while on BF even. Let me know sometime - or tell me to bog off! ;)

anyway this was about RSPB - lets draw a line under this prattling!

Last edited:
scampo said:
Sorry, Trevor - I can now see I was very unclear in my reply. I was not at all referring to your post at this point, but to the post (Tim's) to which you were referring. Apologies again.

No problem, as long as we all know what we mean...eventually ;)

scampo said:
I know the point has been made and I'll say no more. I promise. The dog with a bone is the only one still fascinated - I do know. But your use of the word "top professionals" is illuminating in this context, perhaps especially because of the smooth ease with which the phrase "rolls off the tongue" as it were. The idea (although ideology a better description) that, say, a "senior product manager" is held to be vastly worthier, through such things as salary, permanent contract, company pension, company car (this is a general point - I do not know the details of RSPB staff's recompense) and so forth compared to, say, a reserve warden or other significant and well qualified conservation employee is a fascinating one.
I agree actually. "Top professionals" wasn't the best phrase to use, but I was tired last night. Certainly didn't mean to denigrate the considerable expertise of reserve wardens and others.

I have perhaps been guilty of minor nit picking as it were,but I always try to look at both sides of the equation.One thing I have noticed in recent years,and this I have noticed with the RSPCA who are a large group as the RSPB.If one goes back ,say 10-15yrs,there was a great deal more flexibility.There used to be a local number one could phone if there were any problems re a sick/injured/neglected animal.Now it is a main 08 no,as indeed I think it is with the RSBP.I worked for the RSPCA for several years in the mid 50's.Our main object with the re homing of dogs was to find them a suitable home.Now lots of criteria and rules are in place.If one says can one return the dog if unsuitable the comment is well,we do not like the animals to be moved from home to home.But how can the prospective owner know exactly how the animal will fit into it's new home,when there may be traits which have not been revealed or are unknown.A very high price is asked for a stray dog,up to £70 in some cases,some ruling which states a 12ft fence around the property,at one point I lived in a bedsit with a German Shepherd and Springer Spaniel,those dogs had the life of riley.Nowadays,I would be turned down very firmly as a prospective owner and those dogs could be destroyed.
I do realise that this comment has deviated somewhat from the thread,but the size of these organisations these days,and all the propoganda and leglislation to which they have to adhere,just sometimes makes me wonder if the welfare of the birds and indeed waifs and strays are always top of the list of priorities.

"If one goes back ,say 10-15yrs,there was a great deal more flexibility.There used to be a local number one could phone if there were any problems re a sick/injured/neglected animal.Now it is a main 08 no,as indeed I think it is with the RSBP"

This saves money, I'm sure you are in favour of that!

"I do realise that this comment has deviated somewhat from the thread,but the size of these organisations these days,and all the propoganda and leglislation to which they have to adhere,just sometimes makes me wonder if the welfare of the birds and indeed waifs and strays are always top of the list of priorities."

Sometimes it isn't best to wonder out loud Christine.

Dave

Last edited:
marek_walford said:
I personally don't think too much of the magazine and I really think the amount of money spent on glossy leaflets, raffle tickets etc. could be better spent elsewhere.

The magazine is entirely self funding - all production costs are covered by revenue from advertising - so none of your membership fee is used on it.

Personally I am very pro RSPB and feel that it is well worth paying the membership fee. Yes - some of the policies are a bit odd, and not everything is handled as it should be - but on the whole it's money well spent.

godwit said:
"Sometimes it isn't best to wonder out loud Christine.

Dave
Oh yes it is Dave,because someone will come along and answer ones questions.This is about the RSPB,a very worthy institution which I do whole heartedly support,but what about the small fry as it were.The lesser known groups who take in injured birds(many of which are referred by the RSPB).They receive very little funding,certainly none at the level of the RSPB.They rely on jumble sales and coffee mornings,school children doing their little bit.Every penny they can muster goes soley on the livestock they are helping.All are volunteers and receive no pay whatsoever.These are the groups I do feel need supporting,more so than the large institutions as it were.

"I do realise that this comment has deviated somewhat from the thread,but the size of these organisations these days,and all the propoganda and leglislation to which they have to adhere,just sometimes makes me wonder if the welfare of the birds and indeed waifs and strays are always top of the list of priorities."

Yes they are, of course they are, how could it be otherwise?

Dave

christineredgate said:
This is about the RSPB,a very worthy institution which I do whole heartedly support,but what about the small fry as it were.The lesser known groups who take in injured birds(many of which are referred by the RSPB).They receive very little funding,certainly none at the level of the RSPB.

Hi Christine,

I am glad you raised this issue because it is an excellent point for discussion and perhaps worthy of another thread. Firstly, the RSPB has a completely different remit from that of looking after sick and injured birds and this is part of the success. Having said that, it does not stop people coming to us as first contact (and occasionally getting annoyed when we cannot help directly). I do know the story behind the RSPCA problems but it would be wrong of me to discuss that here. However, what I would say is that they are not helping themselves (IMO) by not providing a database of contacts like ourselves (despite it being outside our remit) and St Tiggywinkles (The Wildlife Hospitals Trust). I know from the contacts that come and go and from working in welfare as a volunteer, that it is a difficult job and more so for the reasons you mention. I think we should raise another thread to talk about bird welfare because I would be interested to read what people think about this. I have a reason for being interested in this subject and more maybe revealed later. :bounce:

"What about the small fry as it were.The lesser known groups who take in injured birds(many of which are referred by the RSPB).They receive very little funding,certainly none at the level of the RSPB.They rely on jumble sales and coffee mornings,school children doing their little bit.Every penny they can muster goes soley on the livestock they are helping."

I fear their coffee mornings and jumble sales will be a complete failure as they don't appear to use any funds to advertise these events...or do they? If they do use any of their funds on advertising/ marketing fund raising events then I don't see how they are doing anything different to the RSPB, it's just a matter of scale.

The RSPB was once a tiny organisation run by volunteers.

Dave

godwit said:
The RSPB was once a tiny organisation run by volunteers.

Dave
Was it? A royal society small and run by volunteers? I shall have to look into the early days of the RSPB as you've intrigued me now. I've been in it since I was a young chap and it seemed large then!

scampo said:
Was it? A royal society small and run by volunteers? I shall have to look into the early days of the RSPB as you've intrigued me now. I've been in it since I was a young chap and it seemed large then!
To quote the RSPB history ( http://www.rspb.org.uk/about/history/milestones.asp )
"1891 The Didsbury group and ladies attending Mrs Phillips' Fur and Feather meetings at her house in Croydon amalgamate to become the Society for the Protection of Birds."

They didn't start off Royal. More like "ladies who lunch".

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back