• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poll & petition: proposed cull of almost half a million Barred Owls (1 Viewer)

Should the USFWS go ahead with the proposed Barred Owl cull?

• yes

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • no

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • maybe

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • somewhat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • it depends

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • why another thread?

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters

All-knowing Idiot
Opus Editor
Poland

Here's the link to the petition:

If you want, you can also sign another petition, which I've just started:

Discussion welcome (not all people read Conservation subforum).

I voted no, simply because it seems like an incomplete response to the problem, and I believe the resources could be used better.

The first petition you linked is entirely emotional pleading, which is something I very much dislike. If a position is true, then use logic to support it. Besides, in my not so humble opinion, the idea that culling the owls is somehow unethical is total nonsense.

That's one of the reasons I started my own petition, though it has much less support than the other one for now. Still, I thought that a difference of less than 400 votes could be overcome with time.

Even if agreeing with the arguments in your petition, which as mentioned on the other thread I think are fundamentally flawed, having multiple questions (one poll and two petitions) asking essentially the same simply dilutes each.

I hope people are motivated enough to at least click through the petition(s). I might be wrong. Still, better than nothing.

EDIT: Also, my petition is under the topic Animals, whereas the other one is under Environment, I think. The former drives more engagement overall, and the target groups don't necessarily overlap. Still, the other petition is more popular, which should make it more frequently displayed.

My petition needs at least 3 more signatures to show on the website (now it's only accessible via the link above).

Last edited:
As it often happens, my promotion efforts were misguided, and there's another petition with almost 50,000 signatures on another website:

EDIT: ... and I didn't see it previously because it was created 8 days ago by the website's employees (?)

It looks like you need to give them your physical address as well (not required for change.org)?

Last edited:
As it often happens, my promotion efforts were misguided, and there's another petition with almost 50,000 signatures on another website:

EDIT: ... and I didn't see it previously because it was created 8 days ago by the website's employees (?)

It looks like you need to give them your physical address as well (not required for change.org)?
Once again, just unfounded emotional pleading. They provide no legitimate reasoning to stop the action. Let the FWS do their job, please.

By the way, I switched my vote here because of discussion on the original thread.

"To create space for spotted owls to continue breeding, authorities would aim to kill about 20,000 barred owls in the first year, then continue killing them for the next 30 years."
Not 500,000 this year.

Yes, I know. I don't know what they wrote in their petition and can't answer for that.

EDIT: Looks like they didn't claim that it would be done in one year.

Last edited:
I firmly believe we should leave decisions about wildlife management to the professionals that actually work on the situation, and not armchair quarterback their ideas with wishful thinking and data free emotion-driven pleas.
This is why I voted maybe, sometimes culls are necessary (the ruddy duck situation for example). Just a question to those who adamantly oppose the proposed cull, are you also against the the culling of invasive mammals in countries such as New Zealand and/or the exterminations that wildlife organisations such as the RSPB do to mostly native species? Human intervention is necessary in certain situations, especially when humans were responsible for creating the problem to begin with.

Spotted owls are in decline because of old growth logging. But will the government, any government, ever intervene to stop old growth logging? No, of course not.

I'm in British Columbia where the last known breeding site of spotted owls in the country in Spuzzum, BC is being actively logged.

So yeah, these type of "conservation plans" that do nothing to address the root cause of species decline and kill thousands of beautiful owls, p*ss me off.

It depends on the definition of "invasive." For me, an invasive species is one such as House Sparrows or rats that humans bring intentionally or unintentionally from another country. Or one that is moved by humans from one part of a country to another. Is an animal that expands its range on its own invasive? Also, I agree that logging is at least part of the problem and cannot be blamed 100% on Barred Owls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back