• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poll:which binocular do you prefer? (1 Viewer)

Which Binocular Do You Prefer?

• Leica Ultravid Series

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • Leica BA/BN & Older models

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • Nikon HG/HGL Series

• Nikon SE Series

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Swarovski EL Series

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • Zeiss FL Series

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • Zeiss Victory & Older models

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Swarovski SLC & Older models

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • Don't know

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Leif said:
I see that Leica are winning the constructors championship (combined Ultravid and BA/BN votes), but the FL is the leading model. I wonder if people who vote a) own the binocular voted for and b) have tried the others too.

I've tried all of these models in the last two weeks (the joy of working part-time in an optics shop)... I'd say that the top three in the vote - ELs, FLs and ultravids are all of an amazing optical quality. For me my preference for one over the others is based almost entirely on the feel of them in the hand. I've never liked the feel of EL's and would not want to use them (I'd rather have SLCs), I spent time trying, but cannot get used to them. I'm also not a big fan of the feel of the FLs, though if someone gave me a pair I'd soon get used to it. If you've not tried them, make sure you do. They are great bins, just feel a bit 'cheap' to me.

So for me the winner was the ultravids (though it was a close run thing with the BNs) - Leica bins just seem to feel right for me. As for the "do people own what they voted for" question... I don't, but I will tomorrow when I pick up my 7x42br - I can't wait.

Another thought - would be interesting to run another pole to see what spec bins people prefer (or which do they use). For me it's been 8x42s for years, and I doubted I'd ever change, until I looked through the 7x42 ultravids, they are amazing. It would be interesting to see what sort of split there is between 7x, 8x and 10x users...

Last edited:
postcardcv said:
I've tried all of these models in the last two weeks (the joy of working part-time in an optics shop)... I'd say that the top three in the vote - ELs, FLs and ultravids are all of an amazing optical quality. For me my preference for one over the others is based almost entirely on the feel of them in the hand. I've never liked the feel of EL's and would not want to use them (I'd rather have SLCs), I spent time trying, but cannot get used to them. I'm also not a big fan of the feel of the FLs, though if someone gave me a pair I'd soon get used to it. If you've not tried them, make sure you do. They are great bins, just feel a bit 'cheap' to me.

So for me the winner was the ultravids (though it was a close run thing with the BNs) - Leica bins just seem to feel right for me. As for the "do people own what they voted for" question... I don't, but I will tomorrow when I pick up my 7x42br - I can't wait.

Another thought - would be interesting to run another pole to see what spec bins people prefer (or which do they use). For me it's been 8x42s for years, and I doubted I'd ever change, until I looked through the 7x42 ultravids, they are amazing. It would be interesting to see what sort of split there is between 7x, 8x and 10x users...

You're going to love your 7X42 Ultravid. I think the 7X Leicas are the best of the line.

John

I voted for the Ultravid 8X42 (which I own). I stepped up from the 8X32 BA (a very handy binocular) that I used for almost ten years. I think the 42 has an "easy" image, if that makes any sense. I did own a 10X42 BA that was a great glass, but it was a bit too much magnification for me.

The Zeiss FL doesn't fit my hands, but has an excellent image.

Last edited:
Leif said:
Mmmm. Zeiss Fl or Nikon SE? A tough choice.

I see that Leica are winning the constructors championship (combined Ultravid and BA/BN votes), but the FL is the leading model. I wonder if people who vote a) own the binocular voted for and b) have tried the others too.

Leif

can't honestly claim to have vigorously tried all the others!!

My reason for voting how I did was simple.

Nikon HGLs? 32's a little too heavy against the competition, 42's too narrow fov - although optically excellent and I could live with that.

Swaro ELs - don't think the 32s are as good as the competition.

Leica Ults - 42's excellent but the 32's have too narrow eye cups and the focus is naff.

Leica Trins - like the 32's, 42's too heavy, they've been around for ages and the design is tried and tested so no wonder they do well

Zeiss FL - both the 32's and 42s are excellent so I voted for them.

never looked through the others. The SE's aren't waterproof and when its chucking it down in Norfolk or I'm in that rain forest next year....

I have voted for the FLs and not for the Ultravids basically because of the close-focus difference. I prefer the feel and the diopter setting in the Leicas. But either of them would only be among the top two if they have really smooth focussing. (I had a 10x42 Ultravid for testing that was so rough one could not fine-focus al all! And in the same test set, the 8x42 Ultravid was "smooth as honey".)

I should add that I have checked/tested or actually own (Victory 1 and BA) all the others except for the Nikons which are virtually absent around here.

Surprisingly few votes in this poll (163 at the time of writing) given the number of views of the thread (2288) to date). I wonder if that means there should have been an 'other' category, or even a 'no preference' ? Or maybe those Google webcrawlers don't use binoculars.

Stuart

Curtis Croulet said:
People are viewing to review the numbers. One should not expect a relationship to the number of votes.

That's right, I've been checking the results several times. And each time I also get the message that I've already voted.

I have voted for the Swar EL .Mainly because ,apart from a small Leica pair,these are the only bins I use.They were purchased primarily because they are light and very easy to hold.the first bins Barry bought for me,were a huge pair of Zoom binoculars.Could hardly lift them and had to prop both elbows on the windowsill to try to keep them steady!!!.but I have had the Swar ones since they first came on to the market,and I am very happy with them.They are also tough and withstand a few knocks.But weight for the main issue ,and of course clarity of vision.but having said that,I was quite impressed with the new Nikon ones,very light,excellent optics,and in the same price range as the Swarros.

I am noticing that the older Leicas are more popular than the current Nikons. The Nikons seem to lack the cachet that Leica, Zeiss, and Swarovski enjoy.

Also, the older Leicas are almost as popular as the Ultarvids, whereas the EL and the FL are far more popular than the SLC and older Zeisses. What can we learn from this? Maybe the old Leicas were better? Maybe a Swarovski owner is more likely to haev upgraded to the EL? Maybe the old Zeisses are too old, being lapsed a few years ago by the BNs and SLCs, with Zeiss only recovering when the FL was intorduced?

xenophobe said:
I'd take a Zeiss Classic of comparable magnification to a similar SLC any day of the week.

I had the Zeiss 7x42 and the Swarovski 7x42 SLC together for a personal shoot-out, and, for me, the SLC was the clear winner. I'm not trying to claim there is any "best" here, just that folks should always try binoculars out in person, and not rely on what other folks say (although you can make a nice list of possibilities from the recommendations others make, and the specifications you have in mind).

Clear skies, Alan

I've done plenty of testing. I tested 3 10x40b's against 2 10x42 SLCs outdoors for nearly two hours a while back. I prefer the Classics, optically and ergonomically.

What's better about the Swarovski SLC?

AlanFrench said:
I had the Zeiss 7x42 and the Swarovski 7x42 SLC together for a personal shoot-out, and, for me, the SLC was the clear winner. I'm not trying to claim there is any "best" here, just that folks should always try binoculars out in person, and not rely on what other folks say (although you can make a nice list of possibilities from the recommendations others make, and the specifications you have in mind).

Clear skies, Alan

Alan
I am curious what you like about the Swarovski SLC 7x42 over the Zeiss 7x42.
Thanks!

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back