• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pomatorhinus ruficollis split:- Taiwan Scimitar Babbler (1 Viewer)

Mark Bruce

Super Moderator
Something that you might want to look at in Opus. Many authors split Streak-breasted Scimitar Babbler Pomatorhinus ruficollis (Sibley and Monroe 1990, 1993) split into P. ruficollis and P. musicus following Collar (2006). For conservation purposes both BirdLife International and the IUCN follow the split. Brazil's Birds of East Asia, Gill & Wright, and the OBC checklist all follow the split. As the photo used in Opus for P.ruficollis is P.[r] musicus you might want to make a note there that the photo is P.[r] musicus which many authors split, or actually split P. ruficollis and move the photo across as P. musicus.

Cheers :t:,

Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for your comment, I'll have a look at it. I'm not sure that we will follow the split (we have the policy that two of the Sibley&Monroe, Howard&Moore and Clements trio have to accept a species until we follow), but it's certainly worth a note in the taxonomy section and under the picture.

André

Hi André,

I understand where you're coming. However, this is just one of several more recent Asian species that that we don't recognise. The situation in Asia has changed rapidly over the last four years and from about mid 2006 there have been some major shake-ups in this part of the world and the lists have fallen shockingly far behind. A prime example is the revision of Timaliidae. There has been much splitting and lumping going on since 2004/2005 but things have settled down and a pretty clear picture exists of what has been accepted. With the lists being so far behind, early last year, the IUCN and BirdLife had to sit down and decide what they considered a valid species, add them to their database and act on those for conservation purposes.

My point is that if Opus falls behind in what it recognises to the point that it doesn't reflect the generally accepted conservative situation on the ground, then, Opus works against itself as a source of information. I'm not for one moment saying include every split and lump. But when a situation develops like we have in the Orient at present when there have been some major shake-ups and a situation has developed where the IUCN and Birdlife have had to update their lists with the likes of Sibley & Monroe with changes and the new regional field guides are saying Howard & Moore with changes, then, if we stick rigidly to only recognising a split with our two out of three requirement and totally ignore the reality on the ground and create the situation of being even further back than the conservatives are, then, we run the risk of our info being redundant. I'll use Taiwan as an example but this would be true for many other countries like Vietnam, China, and the Philippines.

At present Opus only recognises 15 of Taiwan's endemics. The IUCN/BirdLife recognise 21, which is pretty much what most conservative researchers etc recognise now. The East Asia guide, the OBC, the Gill & Wright and many researchers recognise 24 and list about another 6 likely full species. The debate at present seems largely focused on the difference between these two totals. If we are still stuck on 15 and not even near what the conservatives are recognising at around 20-21 endemics, then, our info has largely become redundant for those species concerned. Species like the Taiwan Hwamei Garrulax taewanus, Chinese Barbet Megalaima faber, and Taiwan Barbet Megalaima nuchalis have really been generally accepted as full species for quite sometime and really should appear as full species if we want Opus to be a credible source of info for birds in the Orient. When we have a situation where the lists are so far behind what's recognised on the ground and the likes of the IUCN/BirdLife have had to make changes with clauses like Sibley & Monroe with changes to their database we may want to consider using their database as a possible guideline source if needed for some species in the interests of our info on the species not becoming redundant.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back