• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

porro prisms to match my $500 roofs (1 Viewer)

dakotaman

United States
I have a 10x42 Vortex Viper bino that meets my needs very well in terms of optical performance. I would like to grab an 8x bino with equivalent optics. I was wondering if I can save money by going with a porro binocular - since I have always heard that for the price a porro should beat a roof design. Even if I don't save money I'd like to consider all my options, so I figured it would be good to learn more about porros. Any suggestions for an 8x40 or 8x30 (or similar) porro?

I would recommend either the Nikon E2 8x30 or the Swarovski Habicht 8x30 W. Either one is very good with the E2 having a bigger FOV, an easier focuser and more comfortable larger eye cups, whereas, the Habicht is waterproof, brighter with higher transmission of around 95%. The E2 is about 1/2 the price of the Habicht at around $450 and the Habicht will cost you about $900 from Germany. If you wear glasses, the Habicht's small ER probably won't be enough for you, and be forewarned about its tight focuser, and small eye cups, although you can get the bigger GA eye cups from Swarovski and switch them out for more comfort. Optically and build quality wise, the Habicht is superb, though. The Habicht is a real WOW binocular because of the phenomenal transmission and the on-axis resolution, but it does have its idiosyncrasies. The Habicht is kind of like a Ferrari. It is not the best all around binocular, but it excels in several areas.

Last edited:
Eii is very nice, it is a comfortable and relaxing binocular. The Habicht on the other hand will blow your socks off, the glass is phenomenal. The eye cups can be changed for very comfortable ones that makes a very big difference to the viewing experience. The sweet spot on the Habicht is like no other.

For all-around use the Habicht is weather-sealed, while the otherwise lovely EII (like the SE 8x32 if you found one, and most Porro designs) is not. They also don't focus as close (or view as comfortably there) as roof designs, if that's an issue.

Last edited:
If you wear glasses, the Habicht's small ER probably won't be enough for you, and be forewarned about its tight focuser, and small eye cups, although you can get the bigger GA eye cups from Swarovski and switch them out for more comfort.
The only Habicht that may work with glasses is the 7x42. The 8x30 and the 10x40 ... Not really.

Try before you buy though.

Hermann

I find the Habicht is fine with glasses IF the eyecups are folded down. (I use mine both with and without glasses). Might possibly not work if the glasses prescription requires very convex lenses. I realise this is not as good as more modern designs but is perhaps not as restrictive as sometimes thought.

I have a 10x42 Vortex Viper bino that meets my needs very well in terms of optical performance. I would like to grab an 8x bino with equivalent optics. I was wondering if I can save money by going with a porro binocular - since I have always heard that for the price a porro should beat a roof design. Even if I don't save money I'd like to consider all my options, so I figured it would be good to learn more about porros. Any suggestions for an 8x40 or 8x30 (or similar) porro?
I can second what the others say about the Habicht (I had the 7x42) and the Nikon E2. You'd get great optics but you wouldn't save any money. Unfortunately, there aren't many good porros on the market. If you are looking for good value for money, the Nikon Action EX series might be interesting, or the Kite Fitis series, and perhaps the Kowa YF series.

I would be interested in the Kite Fitis myself as they are made in Japan.
I'm not a fan of the Nikon Action EX. The coatings are not up to modern standards. My Chinese made APM 6x30 is a much better bino than my Nikon Action EX 7x35 (which is also made in China of course). The Nikon has better eye relief though. But brightness and color fidelity is much better in the APM.

I would get a Steiner military marine in 7x50. For the money, you can't beat it. It will give you better views than the Vortex at a fraction of the price.

For somewhat LESS expensive porros, you might look at the Orion 8x30 ED which are waterproof and go for around $200, or the Kowa WF II 8x30 which are waterproof and go for around $100.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back