• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Position of focus wheel (1 Viewer)

Canip

Here is a random selection of binoculars showing how widely the position of the focus wheel can vary. From right to left, Kite Cervus has the focus wheel next to the eyepieces; the Bushnell Forge has it just a bit further away from the eypieces, while the Swaro NL moves it closer towards the center of the binocular. The Zeiss SFL has them at the center or even slightly closer to the objective lenses. The Kern Alpin had the focus wheel fully down by the objectives, whereas the Optolyth Royal left the user the choice between two focus wheels, one close to the eyepieces and on at the other end.

Is my impression correct that especially in the premium sector, some manufacturers lately have been moving the focus wheel more towards the center of the binocular (Zeiss SF, SFL, Swaro NL - exception Leica), since that seems to leave the user ergonomically more choices?

Attachments

• IMG_0635.jpg
    IMG_0635.jpg
    842.6 KB · Views: 73
I think tradition has a bearing on where the focus wheel is usually currently placed. Old porro's always (almost, I'm sure there's an exception!) had then down near the eye cups as it needed to move the eye cups so it made sense to have it there. This was then adopted as the position for roofs, it also makes sense to have it near the eye piece for central diopter adjustment. Is it better near the objectives? For stability when focusing - yes, for agility probably not, a more central focus wheel gives you a bit of the best of both worlds. It probably makes most sense to have the focus wheel in a slightly different place depending on the magnification of the binocular.

Like some others mentioned, some earlier Swarovski’s also had the focuser located at the front of the bridge:
the SL Porro prism line starting in 1980; the SLC x30 roof prisms starting in 1985, and; the original Pocket models starting in 1989.

John

Not anywhere near to scale: SL 7x50; SLC neu 8x30, and; Pocket 10x25

Swaro x3.jpg

Last edited:
Cool thread, Canip.
The SFL & 8x32 NL look similar in size in the photo. Has anyone (ahem) done a shootout between the two?
~ Foss

Good thread Canip, and thanks john for the additional photos. The SLC Neu 8X30 with the focus near the objectives, it is a very useful glass, for those one handed situations. The optics are excellent.

A couple of old porros had a focus wheel aft of the hinge in addition to a focus drum between the hinges. Several had the wheel forward of the forward hinge. An aside, was there ever a "fast focus"- rocker style roof, or the under the body thumb lever fast focus on a roof? another aside, I do have several porros that have the diopter adjust on the objectives. Regards, Pat

Zeiss started their recent concept with the HT focus wheel placement.
Exactly James. HT provided an 'open-hinge grip' with 1st finger falling naturally on the focus wheel which was located closer to the objectives than was traditional, and all without an open-hinge!

Lee

Hi James and Lee,

The focuser style used on the Zeiss HT (2012) and the SF (2015), was used earlier on the little promoted Weaver Super Slam x45 of 2009.
All have a more forward located 'upside down focuser’ (one attached to the front face of the bridge containing the mechanism),
to give a more natural index finger placement.

As can be seen, the Weaver lacks an additional bridge immediately in front of the focuser, and instead has a separated one
like the Swarovski EL and EL SV (some more details are at: Weaver Super Slam - an Interesting Oddity? )

John

Weaver Super Slam x45.jpg

Last edited:
I would need to trawl my 1970’s editions of Guns & Ammo to confirm exactly which sports optics manufacturers offered a model with the rocker fast-focus feature but there were most certainly a few. I’m sure Weatherby was one of them along with more familiar names such as Burris, Nikon, Tasco and Leupold.

LGM

I would need to trawl my 1970’s editions of Guns & Ammo to confirm exactly which sports optics manufacturers offered a model with the rocker fast-focus feature but there were most certainly a few. I’m sure Weatherby was one of them along with more familiar names such as Burris, Nikon, Tasco and Leupold.

LGM
My 2nd ever pair, Bushnell 7x35 Sportview Instafocus, had a rocker. Way too fast and imprecise.

My 2nd ever pair, Bushnell 7x35 Sportview Instafocus, had a rocker. Way too fast and imprecise.
I’m sure and can only imagine what a horrible experience it would be once a degree of slop/over-travel crept in due to loosening of the gearing, as is certain to be the case given the leverage in play with this type of mechanism.

LGM

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back