• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Montagu's or even Pallid Harrier, South Wiltshire downs (1 Viewer)

Jeremy27

United Kingdom
Flew over maybe about 100m up, calling loudly. Extraordinarily long tail (narrow, rectangular). T-shaped with, long, thin, pointed wings, slightly angled. Buoyant flight - occasional glides. About the size (maybe a bit smaller) than some buzzards that were around but totally different profile. Barely visible on the video but you can hear the call (blackbirds alarm calls, nuthatch, sheep etc in background). Obviously Pallid is extremely unlikely but I can't find any Montagu's (or Hen) calls that resemble it on xenocanto, whereas Pallid display call is a bit similar. Would be very grateful for any thoughts on this as really not sure.

Attachments

• Possible harrier recording South Wilts downs.mp4
    3.5 MB
Welcome to BF.
I see a bird flying fairly directly and disappearing behind the trees: too tiny/distant/brief to do anything with. Don't hear anything raptorish - and separating harriers on voice would be a new one on me - in fact, hearing a wandering/migrating harrier call at all would be a new one on me as well. I could well imagine that individual variation in harrier calls would swamp any diagnosable interspecific differences. I don't know what the foreground call is (sounds a bit like a distant macaw!), but I doubt it's the flying bird as it sounds too close and the volume is constant and not decreasing with distance. (Actually, a macaw would likely fit your description better than a harrier, especially the tail - and what's visible of the bird's flight in the vid does look more macaw than harrier - direct and flapping.)

Last edited:
There is a speck that starts off over the central tree heading right to left and on a downward trajectory, it then disappears after 5 seconds ............... if anybody can make that out good luck!

Shane

Welcome to BF.
I see a bird flying fairly directly and disappearing behind the trees: too tiny/distant/brief to do anything with. Don't hear anything raptorish - and separating harriers on voice would be a new one on me - in fact, hearing a wandering/migrating harrier call at all would be a new one on me as well. I could well imagine that individual variation in harrier calls would swamp any diagnosable interspecific differences. I don't know what the foreground call is (sounds a bit like a distant macaw!), but I doubt it's the flying bird as it sounds too close and the volume is constant and not decreasing with distance. (Actually, a macaw would likely fit your description better than a harrier, especially the tail - and what's visible of the bird's flight in the vid does look more macaw than harrier - direct and flapping.)
Thanks for your very helpful comments. Macaw is an interesting idea - the exotic call did remind me of a parakeet. But the wings were too narrow and the bird had no neck - head barely projected in front of wings. I'm pretty sure it was a harrier. A few pairs of Montagu's usually breed in South Wilts but I've never heard of them calling like that, whereas apparently Pallids do have a somewhat similar display call.

wings were too narrow and the bird had no neck - head barely projected in front of wings
Sounds good for a macaw and bad for a harrier. A harrier that's in direct flight over country that's not suitable for breeding is not going to be calling or displaying. The call you've linked to doesn't (to me) sound anything like the call on your video.

Welcome to BF.
I see a bird flying fairly directly and disappearing behind the trees: too tiny/distant/brief to do anything with. Don't hear anything raptorish - and separating harriers on voice would be a new one on me - in fact, hearing a wandering/migrating harrier call at all would be a new one on me as well. I could well imagine that individual variation in harrier calls would swamp any diagnosable interspecific differences. I don't know what the foreground call is (sounds a bit like a distant macaw!), but I doubt it's the flying bird as it sounds too close and the volume is constant and not decreasing with distance. (Actually, a macaw would likely fit your description better than a harrier, especially the tail - and what's visible of the bird's flight in the vid does look more macaw than harrier - direct and fl
Sounds good for a macaw and bad for a harrier. A harrier that's in direct flight over country that's not suitable for breeding is not going to be calling or displaying. The call you've linked to doesn't (to me) sound anything like the call on your video.
I've done a bit more searching on the web and think you're right. There's a place called Larmer Tree Gardens not far from where we were and they apparently have free-ranging macaws so I think it must have been that. Would never have thought of it. The flight profile did look much more like a harrier than a macaw but the call, location and probabilities outweigh that. Thanks again for your help - much appreciated.

Thanks - was much too big, tail and wings far too long and narrow. I think as suggested above it must have been an escaped macaw.
Thanks - was much too big, tail and wings far too long and narrow. I think as suggested above it must have been an escaped macaw.
Fair enough, you had a better view :)

Did you use binoculars because you write that the distance was 100 meter? Or good eyes and good light?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back