• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Spotted Sandpiper? Madeira Island, this morning (1 Viewer)

Thibaud

Hi everybody, and happy new year!

I'm on Madeira this week, and while it's not in the same league as the Azores when it comes to American vagrants, I was keeping my eyes open for anything out of the ordinary.
In particular, a Spotted Sandpiper has been reported on the island recently. I checked the last place it was seen a couple days ago, to no avail. And then today I saw this fellow near a river mouth on the northeastern coast (a few km from the other spot it had been seen). Having reviewed the field marks to tell apart Spotted from Common, the yellow legs and short tail did appear to look quite good. And then in flight, its wingbars didn't seem to quite reach the body.
Now, I've seen both species many times, but always on their respective continents, and I wouldn't feel confident calling a vagrant wader on my own.
So what say the experts: yay or nay?

As always, many thanks in advance.
T

Attachments

• 2S6A1774.jpg
    2S6A1774.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 140
  • 2S6A1784.jpg
    2S6A1784.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
  • 2S6A1887.jpg
    2S6A1887.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
  • 2S6A1888.jpg
    2S6A1888.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
  • 2S6A1889.jpg
    2S6A1889.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 114
  • 2S6A1900.jpg
    2S6A1900.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back