• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Potential ivory-billed woodpecker footage (1 Viewer)

Russ Jones

I hate to beat a dead horse but has anyone else seen this submission from bobby harrison regarding an almost 10 second clip on a flying IBWO on Oct 17, 2020? Not holding my breath, but always hopeful.

Attachments

• CFE51298-A229-4CC0-B323-5CA48315E6BC.png
    CFE51298-A229-4CC0-B323-5CA48315E6BC.png
    419.5 KB · Views: 64
  • D727A845-A85D-48EC-829C-0DCD79E14CEA.png
    D727A845-A85D-48EC-829C-0DCD79E14CEA.png
    466.9 KB · Views: 61
By now it's almost like bigfoot. There have been so many sightings, some by very credible people. Some are laughable, but others seem so convincing. If they do exist, why hasn't there been a single high quality image or video of one? So much effort has been spent looking, well funded effort. All that effort and all we have is a few short, very low quality videos (I haven't seen the Oct 2020 video). The burden of proof is on those who say they have seen it. Give me one clear image, one video where it is completely clear that it is an Ivory Billed and not a Pileated.

The argument from the believers is that the bird is unbelievably wary of humans due to the pressure that humans have placed on them. However, the last confirmed ones in the Singer tract were approachable right until the end. In 1956 William Rhein was able to catch high quality footage of the Imperial Woodpecker from the back of a mule on a mountain trail. At that time the Imperial Woodpecker was under tremendous pressure including being shot on sight, and he was still able to grab undeniable footage from the back of a mule using 1950s video technology. You're telling me with everything we have available in 2021 we can't get one single high quality image, or even audio recording, in a well funded search? With thousands of birders all over with high quality, modern, image stabilized super telephotos we can't get one image?

By now it's almost like bigfoot. There have been so many sightings, some by very credible people. Some are laughable, but others seem so convincing. If they do exist, why hasn't there been a single high quality image or video of one? So much effort has been spent looking, well funded effort. All that effort and all we have is a few short, very low quality videos (I haven't seen the Oct 2020 video). The burden of proof is on those who say they have seen it. Give me one clear image, one video where it is completely clear that it is an Ivory Billed and not a Pileated.

The argument from the believers is that the bird is unbelievably wary of humans due to the pressure that humans have placed on them. However, the last confirmed ones in the Singer tract were approachable right until the end. In 1956 William Rhein was able to catch high quality footage of the Imperial Woodpecker from the back of a mule on a mountain trail. At that time the Imperial Woodpecker was under tremendous pressure including being shot on sight, and he was still able to grab undeniable footage from the back of a mule using 1950s video technology. You're telling me with everything we have available in 2021 we can't get one single high quality image, or even audio recording, in a well funded search? With thousands of birders all over with high quality, modern, image stabilized super telephotos we can't get one image?
I’m not telling you anything, I posted because it’s bird related and this is a bird forum. As I said above, I’m not holding my breath either…

I would like to actually see the video clip before making any assumptions. Anyway, I think it's definitely possible Ivory-billed Woodpeckers aren't extinct, but I agree that without any good photos or video footage we can't know.

I’m not telling you anything, I posted because it’s bird related and this is a bird forum. As I said above, I’m not holding my breath either…

Sorry I wasn't directing that at you, more like the subject in general. I do love the thought of them being out there so I will enjoy this thread!

Whilst I'm highly sceptical this is an IBW, I'm reminded of all the hoohah of when the Night Parrot was rediscovered. Even with clear photos, and over two hundred people being shown footage of the bird that was clear and unequivocal, there were still a lot of people on here that completely dismissed the images as authentic, and those who saw the footage as either liars or easily fooled.

Either way, I happened to bump into John Young, the rediscoverer, near Cairns and he showed me dozens of images, as well as footage that to my knowledge still hasn't been made public (i.e, not the footage that was shown in that presentation). I posted the encounter here and it seemed to convince most people that the bird really was out there.

Of course, since then, several other people have now seen the bird and even taken recordings of it right across Australia. But here's what I think is the difference here: night parrots appear to be nocturnal (good name, then) and are thinly distributed over a vast area of the outback. It is the sheer size of their range and the remoteness of much of it that probably saved the bird, as well as precluded any reliable sightings for decades. There are also far fewer eyes and ears looking for it here, than the IBW in NA. The IBW is a large, visually spectacular, bird that is active during the day; it lived in far more populous areas; and there are far more eyes and ears looking for it. I'd be absolutely astounded if it was found now for those reasons alone.

Last edited:
Night parrot rediscovery didn’t gain instant traction partly because the rediscoverer had history of image manipulation, and partly because the released images were, bizarrely and pointlessly, but undeniably, manipulated themselves.

I guess the main lesson for IBWO is to keep an open mind, it’s possible this could be rediscovered by someone you don’t necessarily trust or warm to. But i’m not hopeful.

Cheers,
James

Night parrot rediscovery didn’t gain instant traction partly because the rediscoverer had history of image manipulation, and partly because the released images were, bizarrely and pointlessly, but undeniably, manipulated themselves.

I guess the main lesson for IBWO is to keep an open mind, it’s possible this could be rediscovered by someone you don’t necessarily trust or warm to. But i’m not hopeful.

Cheers,
James
I know John pretty well, and I know why he manipulated those images. I can't give the reason publicly in case I get sued, but suffice it to say, I knew his reputation before those images were released. That didn't help his cause in the slightest of course, but the images were clearly real, so claims that the image was CGI or a fake image of a ground parrot that had been manipulated were just weird...

FTR, John is one of the most brilliant field naturalists I have ever met, but he doesn't do himself many favours by acting the way he does, and I know plenty of birders here in Aus who take a dim view of his antics, even if they acknowledge his field skills.

Anyways... the NP saga has been settled. I wish the IBW saga could be similarly settled one way or the other.

Last edited:
The point is that such sagas are only able to be settled in the positive; there is no way to prove absence of a species.
I think 'burden of proof' is a thing, which is why so many species are declared 'extinct'. Of course, sometimes these species get rediscovered, but usually, sadly, the declaration is an accurate one.

I have not seen Bobby’s video, but would certainly be surprised if it added anything substantive to the debate (I assume if it was of any quality it would’ve come to light loooong before now), other than to lend further support to skeptics noting the impossibility of getting clear footage of this almost mystical species. If Harrison has other evidence of the IBWO’s presence in a given area I will be interested to learn (if disclosed) of the general locale of the video clip, as I continue to believe pockets of the birds do still exist.
At any rate, the USFWS deadline for comments on their recommendation to de-list the Ivory-bill has now passed, and little really has changed, so it will be interesting to see if sheer outcry (well, couple hundred comments) from some quarters has any effect on their final decision.

In my opinion as an IB student and researcher, here is the best evidence, a video analysis from Michael Collins, for the bird's continued existence in low numbers, low concentrations, wide range, large flee distance from hunting pressures, nomadic nature, and difficult habitat. As I've encountered nonsensical responses here on BirdForum before, I will not comment further or reply. However, if someone is truly interested in the upcoming search season, go to Facebook, Mission Ivorybill, or Ivory-Billed Woodpecker-- Rediscovered.

This video is an excellent analysis, by an MIT graduate, of morphometrics and behaviors. Skeptics, enjoy--

Oh Lordy, here we go again. Seen the video, the BF threads and moved on.
However, good luck with your practical research despite the ABA'S conclusion the species is considered extinct.

ps
It reminds me of the recent " without any doubt "claim that trail camera footage showed the rediscovery of Tasmania's Thylacine.... nope, not this time.

Last edited:
Hi Pyrtle,

Oh Lordy, here we go again. Seen the video, the BF threads and moved on.
However, good luck with your practical research despite the ABA'S conclusion the species is considered extinct.

You obviously don't understand strategy ... any uphill battle can easily be won simply by mustering more sock puppets ;-)

Just for the record, this is what Mike Collins has been failing to address for a couple of years now:

Regards,

Henning

I really don't understand the passion. If one wants to put one's time and effort into bird research then why not do something that will be of some value.

I really don't understand the passion. If one wants to put one's time and effort into bird research then why not do something that will be of some value.
Eh...It's a harmless enough interest, and people have far more darker and dangerous passions. As long as he is aware and accepting of the idea that without some extraordinary evidence, no one is really going to take this "evidence" seriously.

I believe this clip contains the footage mentioned above. Jump to 3:32 if you want to skip the introductory narrative. Thoughts?

Edit: this isn’t the footage mentioned above

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back