• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prague in April 2008 (1 Viewer)

Derek Polley

Czech list for Prague?
Three days in Prague with the non-birding relatives produced the following list. Most of these were seen in and around the River Vltava. Anything that wasn’t seen along the river I have noted. Considering it was a tourist trip I think it wasn’t a bad achievement although there were no real cripplers.
Black headed gull
Mute swan
Mallard
Chaffinch
Blackbird
Swallow – numbers increased as the week went on.
Starling
Moorhen
Rook
Jackdaw - shots attached would value comment on the pale nape and definite line between nape and back.
White wagtail
Magpie
Great tit
Wood pigeon
Collared dove
House martin
Swift – just the one over Charles Bridge with swallows and martins.
Tufted duck
Common sandpiper
PS: I don’t tick feral pigeons!

Kestrel - One in flight near St Agnes’ Convent, spotted from the tour bus, a female perched on the gold cross on top of a church near Malostranska metro station, and a splendid male doing circuits of the Old Town Square and giving an aerial flying exhibition to the complete ignorance of about 3000 tourists below. He ended up sitting on the large shield on the right hand tower of the Church of our Lady before Tyn.

Peregrine falcon – I observed a pair over Prague Castle on Tuesday afternoon and on Wednesday another pair (or possibly the same pair) over the Petrin Hill observation tower. They were circling and soaring and were in view for over 5 minutes.

Petrin Hill also produced a pair of nuthatches, great tit , chaffinch, wren, blackbird, wood pigeon, collared dove, singing song thrush and a sadly unidentified phylloscopus warbler.

Attachments

• Jackdaw 1.JPG
    Jackdaw 1.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 167
  • Jackdaw 4.JPG
    Jackdaw 4.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 175
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back