• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prairie birding: Eastern Colorado & Western Kansas (1 Viewer)

madpitta

United States
Colorado is world famous for its chickens and last year April I visited western Colorado to look for 5 out of the 7 North American chickens possible there, among other great birds like all 3 rosy-finches and Pinyon-Juniper specialties. I had then resolved to come back the next year to check out the 2 remaining chickens - the Greater Prairie-Chicken and Lesser Prairie-Chicken. Both are endangered, and the Lesser even more so as it has disappeared from most of its range and currently survives mostly in private ranches. Lek viewings are managed by the ranchers, and these leks are some of the most memorable experiences a birder can have anywhere.

There are lots of other great birds possible in the prairies but in spring, the prairies of eastern Colorado are also host to 3 other mega species - Chestnut-collared Longspur, Thick-billed Longspur (aka McCown's Longspur), and the unpredictable Mountain Plover, which contrary to its name, seems to be equally at ease on flat plains.

For details on this adventure, please check out the link below:

https://www.cloudbirders.com/be/download?filename=BARUAH_ColoradoKansas_04_2022.pdf

Another excellent report - I also enjoyed your previous chicken run. All would be lifers for me, as would the longspurs and Mountain Plover - which I dipped in the Sacramento River Valley in March 2019 - so I hope one day to follow in your footsteps.

Cheers
Mike

Another excellent report - I also enjoyed your previous chicken run. All would be lifers for me, as would the longspurs and Mountain Plover - which I dipped in the Sacramento River Valley in March 2019 - so I hope one day to follow in your footsteps.

Cheers
Mike
Thanks MKinHK. Funny that I too missed the Mountain Plover in the Sacramento River Valley. I missed it in 3 more places, 2 of which required a special effort in CA and of course missed in my last trip to CO off of Hanover Rd. So this time I had prioritized it even above the Greater Prairie-Chicken.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back