• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Praying mantis caught on camera eating a hummingbird (1 Viewer)

hannu

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wi...is-caught-on-camera-eating-a-hummingbird.html

The predatory insect dangles from a plant while using its legs to overcome the helpless bird.

And the mantis, which is not much bigger than its prey, then gorges itself before releasing the lifeless body of its victim.

Richard Walkup, from West Chester in Pennsylvania, US, told how his quick-thinking son had captured the scene.

He said: "The other day while I was working in the yard my son urgently called to me, 'Dad, a praying mantis caught a hummingbird!'

"I came running to see for myself.

"By the time I arrived it was too late for the poor hummer and my scientifically minded son had already begun taking pictures and studying the scene."

He continued: "This hungry mantis captured and killed a hummingbird not much smaller than itself.

"The mantis used its spiny left foreleg to impale the hummingbird through the chest while leaving his right leg free.

"This was an unfortunate experience for the hummer, but we are amazed to realise how fast, precise, and powerful the mantis must be to accomplish such a feat."

Mantises are masters of camouflage, using protective colouring to blend in with the surrounding foliage to avoid other predators and stalk their victims without detection.

They normally eat other insects but larger species can prey on small lizards, frogs, birds, snakes, and even rodents.

The mantis order contains around 2,200 species in 9 families.

I'm fairly sure this did the rounds last year. maybe the telegraph only just caught it and decided it was so cool they'd publish anyway.

Saw a Praying Mantis take a Hummingbird Hawkmoth in Spain last september, I even have a picture, (and some video somewhere) of it eating it!

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back