• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prehistoric Planet (1 Viewer)

Mysticete

United States
Anyone checking this out? The first episode came out today on Apple TV. Narrated by David Attenborough with a score by Hans Zimmer, the first episode, focusing on the Coasts, is awesome, and has the best CGI I have seen ever applied to an extinct organism

Given that birds are just specialized dinosaurs, and given that a lot of bird behavior is used to infer dinosaur ecology/looks, might be worth a look by folks.

Planning to check it out today or later this week, from the trailers it's easily the best dinosaur documentary we've had in decades.

Although, I wish the Prehistoric Planet title wasn't the one used since the focus is solely on the wildlife from the Maastrichtian, which gives a better view of life on early at an exact period kind of like Planet Earth did, but it overshadows the hundreds of millions of years of life that are not covered despite the broad sounding title.

Either way, I have high hopes and between this and release of the park builder game Prehistoric Kingdom, I'm hoping we get a new wave of kids that love and appreciate prehistoric life as animals like the Walking with and Zoo Tycoon did for me and many others years ago.

Planning to check it out today or later this week, from the trailers it's easily the best dinosaur documentary we've had in decades.

Although, I wish the Prehistoric Planet title wasn't the one used since the focus is solely on the wildlife from the Maastrichtian, which gives a better view of life on early at an exact period kind of like Planet Earth did, but it overshadows the hundreds of millions of years of life that are not covered despite the broad sounding title.

Either way, I have high hopes and between this and release of the park builder game Prehistoric Kingdom, I'm hoping we get a new wave of kids that love and appreciate prehistoric life as animals like the Walking with and Zoo Tycoon did for me and many others years ago.
I think I like the one moment in time approach...it allows them to cover a lot of critters that would otherwise not get much screen time. If the show is successful, perhaps we can get sequels set at different time periods.

It is a well done film. There are some goofs, I think I noticed Herring Gulls in the background in the Mesozoic, but well done overall.

Although for me the best and most inspiring of all is David Attenborough, still up and presenting in his 90s! I hope I will be, too, alive, standing, walking and talking coherently at his age.

I think I like the one moment in time approach...it allows them to cover a lot of critters that would otherwise not get much screen time. If the show is successful, perhaps we can get sequels set at different time periods.
Hoping for that as well, one covering the Miocene would be amazing since it would give a chance to focus on the really oddball birds of the age of mammals like the Pelagornithids, Argentavis and Phorusrhacids alongside the odd transitional mammals.

But time will tell, hopefully it makes enough for Apple TV to consider it a good investment and make more.

It is a well done film. There are some goofs, I think I noticed Herring Gulls in the background in the Mesozoic, but well done overall.

Although for me the best and most inspiring of all is David Attenborough, still up and presenting in his 90s! I hope I will be, too, alive, standing, walking and talking coherently at his age.
There's 4 more episodes to air, so who knows what else we will see.

Though birders griping with time and space traveling birds in movies and shows is always the norm.

I didn't notice any gulls, but I would imagine that they were so distant that you could write them off as some other mesozoic bird.

One thing I would have liked to have seen are some smaller critters. We got Beezlebufo, but it would be nice to see a gondwanathere or some other mammal.

So far my favorites from the three episodes I have seen so far have been the plesiosaurs (which don't seem to pop up in too many of these shows in a significant manner), the Deinocheirus in all its goofy glory, the raptor vs pterosaur scene, and the "sneaky" male pterosaur bit.

Looking forward to seeing more therizinosaur and ankylosaur action, given that we have only seen tiny cameos from them so far.

There is a second season of Prehistoric Planet since May 2023. I think this series is the best what we currently have on paleo art. But it would be great if they would make similar series for other geologic periods, e.g. the Carboniferous, the Permian, the Quaternary (including the Holocene) or the Tertiary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back