• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problems with donating binoculars (1 Viewer)

Elkhornsun

United States
I have more than a few binoculars that I no longer use and would like to donate them to people who could use them. Often with my overseas trips I have encountered people who would be happy to get the binos but their governments impose exhorbitant taxes on imports so the cost of the used bino is as great as buying a new pair at a local store.

Has anyone found a good way to get around this problem other than taking them inside ones luggage when traveling to a foreign country?

I have more than a few binoculars that I no longer use and would like to donate them to people who could use them. Often with my overseas trips I have encountered people who would be happy to get the binos but their governments impose exhorbitant taxes on imports so the cost of the used bino is as great as buying a new pair at a local store.

Has anyone found a good way to get around this problem other than taking them inside ones luggage when traveling to a foreign country?
If you're a member of the American Birding Association, you might check out their restart of their Birder's Exchange Program. The optics apparently go to support birders in the neotropics, contributing to efforts there. I sent my old B&L Elites that way, and was happy to do so.

If in your country there are organizations like BirdLife, they may have observation and conservations programs that require the participation of many people, and there is constantly a shortage of useful binoculars and spotting scopes. I gave quite a number of binos to BirdLife Switzerland and the Swiss Birding Institute (Vogelwarte Sempach). Even in rich countries, not everyone helping such birding institutions has their own binocular.

I donated some to the local library for astronomy and bird watching for children. Unfortunately some of them disappeared either for being well loved or simply stolen. However, several are still there for check out and seem popular.

I donate mine to bird research groups. Point Blue Conservation Science and The Institute for Bird Populations. Both have a lot of interns who often have poor optics and are also poor.

Maybe not quite the same but I have given unused/less used binoculars to family-kids, son and daughter in laws, grandkids.

Yes. One of my nephews is a very keen birdwatcher despite being only 10, and I gave him my EL SV 8.5x42 when I upgraded to the NL Pure, and I had previously lent them to another nephew who was stuck in London as a US exchange student during lockdown and bored. But donating binoculars to ornithologists or conservationists in poor countries seems best, if there is a good way to identify them and transmit the binoculars to them.

Yes. One of my nephews is a very keen birdwatcher despite being only 10, and I gave him my EL SV 8.5x42 when I upgraded to the NL Pure, and I had previously lent them to another nephew who was stuck in London as a US exchange student during lockdown and bored. But donating binoculars to ornithologists or conservationists in poor countries seems best, if there is a good way to identify them and transmit the binoculars to them.

Good point.

It seems such a waste for optics to just set in a closet or shelf unused when others could enjoy them.
The birds need the support, but how do you donate to people in "poorer countries"?

edj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back