• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Product Review: Oberwerk SE 8 x 32 ED. (4 Viewers)

Hello Neil,

Thanks for the review. Of course, the binocular's longevity and reliability cannot be determined now.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Evening All,

Please find a link to my review of the Oberwerk SE 8 x 32 ED;

https://neilenglish....werk-se-8-x-32/

I hope you find it informative!

Kind Regards,

Neil.
View attachment 1493193
This was the first comprehensive review I've read on the Obie 8x32 SE. Being a big fan of the Nikon 8x32 SE, which I own, I was keenly interested in what Kevin had come up with inspired by the Nikon SE. I enjoyed reading your review, and I might buy one based on it. Beats spending $2-$3k on the latest roof, which as you mentioned, has to add layers of coatings to match the transmission of porros.

One thing. It doesn't sound like you have the latest iteration of the 8x30 E2 (serial # 82xxx). Nikon upgraded its glass and coatings in 2017. I compared the 100th Anniversary Edition 8x30 E2 to the Nikon 8x42 EDG, which has ED glass, and the 8x30 E2 AE (2017) is nearly as good in controlling CA as the EDG, and it doesn't have ED glass! That surprised me. It is also sharper than the 2016 version (better texture micro contrast) and earlier predecessors, and it also controls flaring better. I've compared the 2016 to the 2017 side by side, and the newer version is sharper and has flatter transmission, and therefore better color rendition. I think a 2017+ E2 would fare better in comparison with the Obie 8x32 SE than the sample I think you used for your review, and its smaller and lighter than the OB SE. Can't beat it on price though, being made in Japan.

I am surprised the Chinese-made Obie SE is that good for $249, then again, the 8x32 Cabela Guide cost me $200, and it's way better than I expected, but it was made in Japan. I wrote a thread titled "Haute Chinese" a long time ago on Cloudy Nights where I forecast that the Chinese would eventually be able to make binoculars as good as the Japanese. Not sure we are quite there yet, but it's getting closer. Thanks!

Brock

I thinned out my 'collection' to just four binos...Swaro 8x20B, Canon IS 8x20, Zeiss TFL 'Simon King ' Victory 8x32, and Nikon SE 10x42. I swore I'd never buy another binocular, but guess what, I lied! I've just ordered the Oberwerk SE 8x32 (because I miss Nikon SE 8x32), and will post my amateurish opinions when it arrives and I've played with it a bit. Although I only have the above set to compare, no other 8x 32 porros.

thanks Neil for the wonderful review. i bought the Oberwerk 8X32 SE's due to your opinion of these binoculars. i won't try to add anything to a very comprehensive review. i will say these binocs appear to be built like the proverbial brick outhouse and they are backed by a company with a sterling reputation. they will serve as my vehicle binocs, replacing a pair of Swift 10X50 Audubon's in pristine condition. keep the good reviews coming.....my bank account isn't quite empty, yet.

Hello Pupresque,

Many thanks indeed for the feedback and very glad you like the new addition from Oberwerk. I've never owned an Oberwerk binocular before so this was a real thrill when I finally got to field test them.

When I see the price of top roof models literally go 'through the roof,' it's just so reassuring that these new improved Porro designs are being developed that now compete so well with them.

I personally hate this ugly 'pay to play' mentality; not good for the individual and certainly not good for the hobby. So I hope I'll have saved you some money in the long term.

Enjoy!

Kind Regards,

Neil.

thanks Neil for the wonderful review. i bought the Oberwerk 8X32 SE's due to your opinion of these binoculars. i won't try to add anything to a very comprehensive review. i will say these binocs appear to be built like the proverbial brick outhouse and they are backed by a company with a sterling reputation. they will serve as my vehicle binocs, replacing a pair of Swift 10X50 Audubon's in pristine condition. keep the good reviews coming.....my bank account isn't quite empty, yet.
May I ask why your replacing the 10x50 Audubons? Are you selling them? If so PM me.
Thank you

Paul

My Oberwerk SE 8x32 arrived today. I haven't had much chance to "test" it, and in any case a birding bino needs to be tested over a few weeks while actually birding. Also, I am non-technical, so anything I say is "amateur user" opinion only, applying only to my eyes. I agree wholeheartedly with everything Dipperdapper says in the excellent review. Total cost to my door (in Ireland) was 368 euro, inclusive of 68 euro customs charges, plus postage. Communication and tracking details from Kevin in Oberwerk was excellent. At first, I was dismayed when I lifted the box...it felt heavy. But when I removed the packaging, and held the binos in my hand, they didn't actually feel that heavy because the ergos and balance are excellent. Not unlike my Nikon SE 10x42, but about 50g heavier. The Oberwerk certainly is a tough, tank-like bino, feels very solid and durable. I like the longer objective barrels because I can get two fingers around them, as with the SE 10x42, and I find this helps further with stability. The objectives are deeply recessed, another feature I like because I presume they are more protected from stray light or damage. The focus wheel is stiffer than I would like, but I reckon this is the price you pay for a waterproof porro, like the Habicht 8x30. Although it is a wide wheel (see OPs photos), I find it a little difficult to get my fingers to it, and prefer the position of the FW on the Nikon 10x42. (OTOH, the diopter adjuster is on the right ocular, where the Binocular God intended....easy to adjust, but also firm enough to stay put). In any case the focusser has no play and turns smoothly. Eyecups twist in and out and have four positions. The bino came with a strap for the case, plus two straps for the bino...a lighter "stretchy" neoprene one for comfort, or a tougher fabric-type one. Try as I might, I could induce no CA, even looking against bare tree branches against a bright, high-cloud Irish February sky. In this it was the equal of my Zeiss TFL 8x32, which is excellent. The FOV (8.2 degrees) is similar, and to be honest it was sharp across most of the field, to the extent that to find any softness at all, I almost have to stick my eyeball into the bino and search sideways! In other words, the field-flattener question is a non-issue. I tried to induce flare/glare, and couldn't manage that either, even while looking as close to the lightly-clouded sun as was possible without endangering my eyesight. I have no idea how to "measure" light transmission, but it seems plenty bright, not quite as bright as my TFL 8x32 but that's unsurprising. I'm going to stick my neck out a bit here and say that I think the sharpness/constrast/pop (I don't know how to separate these "concepts") might be a little ahead of the TFL. However, this may be just because of today's conditions, or I may be suffering from "new-bino enthusiasm"....it needs a bit more study out in the field, in different lighting conditions. The warranty is two years, but it feels like a bino that will be used by my as yet non-existent grandchildren. An interesting feature is that in the plain black box (thank you Oberwerk, no expensive fancy boxes!), there is a card headed "Quality Checklist", with Date, Sale, SN etc., and all the features ticked off (under the headings Appearance, Mechanical, Alignment/Collimation, Resolution) and initialled "KGB" (whom I presume is Kevin rather than the defunct Soviet body). I'll take these out and about over the next few weeks, and play with them a bit more, but I think they are a pretty stunning binocular at any price, and for 368 euro delivered a no-brainer, unless you favour roofs and very light binos.

Last edited:
A photo showing my 'grip' of the bínos...two fingers around the barrel, two on the focusser. Plus the QC checklist card.
Interesting I didn’t know they were heavier than the 10x42 SE’s, I never weighed it. They do feel dence in a good way. Let’s us know how you feel about them in a few weeks.

Paul

Hello Sancho,

Glad to hear your first light report!

I knew you'd like them.

Having used them for a few weeks now, I still feel they are spectacular!

Best wishes,

Neil.

Ps. I'm a Paddy in exile in Caledonia lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back