• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Purple Martin or Swallow? Sleepy Hollow, NY (1 Viewer)

gsimonel

United States
All I have to go on is the head, but can anyone tell me if this is a female purple martin or some type of swallow? I saw the bird sitting on top of the birdhouse about 2 weeks ago, but didn't have my camera with me at the time. (Shame on me.) The underside was completely white from the chin down. I did not see any green on the bird's back, just a deep iridescent indigo blue. Thanks for any clarification that you can offer.

Attachments

• DSC_3684.JPG
    13.4 MB · Views: 19
  • DSC_3686.JPG
    13 MB · Views: 12
Tree Swallow. Purple Martin would not have such bright and pure white underparts. Lighting can really affect the way colors appear for birds like Tree Swallow. Back in bright light May appear greenish but can look darker blue or even black in a poorer light

Users who are viewing this thread

Back