• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallow in Tajikistan (1 Viewer)

PhilSteiner

Tajikistan
These were taken today in Dushanbe. There were at least seven swallows, one of which was clearly a Barn (deeply forked tail with white spots, dark throat). Many of the others, though, seemed good candidates for Wire-tailed: Pure white underneath, no hint of red on rump, unstreaked white throat, dark head. I was not able to see wires on any of the tails, which were not deeply forked like adult Barn or Red-rumped, but rather stubby. Deep glossy blue color ruled out Bank Swallow and the brown martins. No hint of white on rump rules out the house martins. They had chestnut foreheads.

Unfortunately my camera is in the shop, so I just have these digibinned shots of one on a wire. I'm seeing a clean white throat with crisp delineation where it meets the dark head at the cheek, so I'm leaning towards Wire-tailed even though there aren't tail wires...I'd love to hear others' opinions, though.IMG_20231217_143448.jpg
IMG_20231217_143422.jpg
IMG_20231217_143350.jpg
IMG_20231217_143227.jpgIMG_20231217_143158.jpgIMG_20231217_143054.jpgIMG_20231217_143309.jpg

I think the last photo shows the wires and together there is enough to confirm Wire-tailed. There are other records from Tajikistan but is evidently scarce and this must be a good record.

I think the last photo shows the wires and together there is enough to confirm Wire-tailed. There are other records from Tajikistan but is evidently scarce and this must be a good record.
I too thought the wires were visible at first, but I think they may actually be wingtips viewed on edge.

A very good record indeed! A lifer for me, and while it's certainly not comprehensive, this appears to be the northernmost December record anywhere in the world on eBird. The other Tajikistan record was about 12 km further north, in May 2008.
Accepted 👍🏼
Rufous crown, not just forehead - which shows in the last photo.
Thanks for the confirmation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back