• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Queensland, Australia - Unknown Moth (3) (1 Viewer)

Mark Eising

Registered Member
I found this moth at Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge in Julatten, Queensland, Australia on 28 October 2022.

Any advice or help is highly appreciated!

Attachments

• Moth sp. Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge, Queensland, Australia, 28 October 2022.JPG
    Moth sp. Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge, Queensland, Australia, 28 October 2022.JPG
    920.3 KB · Views: 12
Impressive.
I would not know where to begin trying to identify this moth, yet a casual BF member throws out the answer.
This site has a deep bench.
Wow, thanks so much!
And it is a incredible creature aswell! I just learned that the male has evolved an ingenious way to find mates by spreading its pheromones using enormous, inflatable hairy appendages that unfurl from deep inside its abdomen.
These coremata (which means “feather dusters” in Greek) are used to waft a cocktail of chemicals into the surrounding environment.
These coremata can be as long as the moth's body which reaches just under 5cm in length.
These chemicals have a dual function – when females are exposed, the chemicals act as both an aphrodisiac and tranquiliser, but when males of the same species get a whiff, they serve as a handy repellent to drive the competition away.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back