• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about Eastern Black-eared Wheatear (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Please make allowances here, I'm not a scientist so my questions may be dumb.

Here in Cyprus, the black throated form of the above is regular but I can't find any information regarding the distribution of that form.

This form hasn't been alloted sub-specific status, how does this variation persist, there has to be a gene which is passed on? Where does that gene predomonate and why doesn't distinct, morphology, guarantee, sub-specific status?

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware there's no definitive study that has looked at the cause for the difference, however it is likely to be a polymorphism (like, say eye colour in humans) that might be governed by a few alleles and not necessarily a difference between subspecies per se.

There's a relatively new research group that is using these wheatears as a study system and they're investigating the genomic patterns of colouration, so I fully expect some studies to come out on this in the future.

No problem. It's funny because it's something that I was actually thinking about myself this weekend after seeing my first Western Black-eareds.

As far as I'm aware there's no definitive study that has looked at the cause for the difference, however it is likely to be a polymorphism (like, say eye colour in humans) that might be governed by a few alleles and not necessarily a difference between subspecies per se.

There's a relatively new research group that is using these wheatears as a study system and they're investigating the genomic patterns of colouration, so I fully expect some studies to come out on this in the future.
This paper provides a hypothesis:
Schweizer, M, V Warmuth, NA Kakhki, M Aliabadian, M Förschler, H Shirihai, P Ewels, J Gruselius, RA Olsen, H Schielzeth, A Suh and R Burri. 2019. Genome-wide evidence supports mitochondrial relationships and pervasive parallel phenotypic evolution in open-habitat chats. Mol. Phyl. Evol. 139: doi.org/10.1016/j.ympev.2019.106568.
MJB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back