• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question for vulture experts: Gyps in flight Senegal March (1 Viewer)

Ben_T

Dear Birdforum users

Looking back at the pictures I took, I found these two of the same vulture, taken in the Diourbel region (Senegal) on the 22nd of March. The three possible species are Rüppell's, Eurasian Griffon and White-backed Vulture. At the time I put White-backed Vulture, and both me and the guide (amazing Abdou Lo) were pretty sure of the ID, because of general size and light-coloured appearance. Now however I have some doubts: while the general head color still points toward White-backed Vulture, some plumages in Griffon Vulture are pretty similar, and looking through articles did not appease my doubts (see for example (PDF) Identification of Rüppell´s Vulture and African White-backed Vulture and Vagrancy in the WP).
Do any of you vulture experts have a definitive answer for this bird?

In any case, all the best,

BenWhite-backed Vulture2.pngwhite-backed vulture1.png

Immature Eurasian griffon vulture: pale uniform underwing-coverts with paler-still band along their rear edge. Size would have been impossible to gauge reliably.

Hey Butty, thanks for the reply!

Yeah, my doubts might be founded... However, I did not judge the size as an absolute, but relative to three Ruppell's Griffons in the same kettle (White-backed is smaller than Rüppell, which is smaller than Eurasian Griffon), so while not definitive, it was an indication...

This specific plumage is quite common in Griffon Vulture (Eurasian Griffon Macaulay Library ML206375211), while in White-backed it is much rarer, but can some individuals show a similar pattern sometimes (https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/164551231)? I am still a bit of the fence also because of the overall shape (arms larger near the body) and the blackish mask of the bird. Plus, the number of tail feathers seems more 12 than 14... Let me know what you think, and in any case thank you for your time!

Thanks again for your help, best

Ben

Last edited:
They are a real headache! Shape might be very valuable but imho only in soaring birds from below, not so much in gliding birds; plumagewise might be perfect for Griffon but not enough for ID. Face, bill size and tail feathers probably most reliable in these pictures and they say White-backed. Field impression most important so I would stick with initial ID

Thanks a lot everyone for your replies! I will keep looking into it - maybe try work the pictures a bit! - if it is indeed a White-backed Vulture, it sure does its best to mimic a Griffon plumage! However, in a Facebook group of Senegal and Gambia birding the general consensus is also veering towards White-backed... I am glad to have asked in any case, interesting bird!

All the best

Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back