• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question Status Oaxaca (1 Viewer)

fbeeldens

Not a report but a question regarding the current state of affairs in Oaxaca.

A pal and I are leaving for a birding trip to Southern Mexico in about 10 days time, and were planning to head to several sites near Oaxaca, also, our travel route to other places would take us through the city.

I know there's a travel warning for the city, but there's not all that much detailed info on the current situation. I was hoping some of the birders living in / near Mexico could give me more feedback.

Thanks beforehand for any info,

filip

Flip

Hi Flip,
I am not sure how the state is politically now in Oaxaca but I was there for a week birding in Feb 2006 and one thing I can assure you is that the Oaxacan people are very humble,respectful and friendly twoards tourists.When we went we booked a guide named Roque Antonio , a local living in Teotitlan del Valle just outside Oaxaca City. He was a fully equipped ,remarkable and affordable guide that really took great care of us for a week as we traveled the entire state.If you want to book him for a day or two I would highly recommend him.
his email is roque_antonio740 "at" hotmail.com or check out www.mexonline.com/ecotours.htm . phone 951 -524-4371 .Check my birdlist and scroll down to Oaxaca feb 2006 to see what we saw with him here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=53077

good luck and if you do see him please tell him I said hello.Either way I hope you have a great time and I know you are going to see some GREAT SPECIES !
contact me in private messages if you have any questions,
good birding-
Stephen Bahr.

QUOTE=fbeeldens]Not a report but a question regarding the current state of affairs in Oaxaca.

A pal and I are leaving for a birding trip to Southern Mexico in about 10 days time, and were planning to head to several sites near Oaxaca, also, our travel route to other places would take us through the city.

I know there's a travel warning for the city, but there's not all that much detailed info on the current situation. I was hoping some of the birders living in / near Mexico could give me more feedback.

Thanks beforehand for any info,

filip[/QUOTE]

These alerts concern Oaxaca City, so presumably and hopefully other areas of the state of Oaxaca are relatively safe...?

From the US State Department, dated Nov. 19:

This Public Announcement updates the Public Announcement for Mexico alerting U.S. citizens to the mounting violence and disorder in Oaxaca City, Oaxaca, Mexico to include increased security concerns in light of recent bombings in Mexico City. At this time, U.S. citizens should continue to avoid travel to Oaxaca City due to an increase in violence there and should be alert to the increased security concerns related to protest violence throughout Mexico. This Public Announcement expires on January 18, 2007.

From the US Embassy in Mexico:

Mexico City, October 30, 2006 – “The U.S. Embassy in Mexico and the U.S. Department of State today announced their decision to extend the current Public Announcement regarding the continued and escalating violence in Oaxaca City, Oaxaca.

Today and over the past weekend, Mexican federal forces have been confronting armed protesters in Oaxaca City. On Friday, October 27, at least four people – including an American journalist - were killed during an exchange of gunfire during a protest in Oaxaca.

These tragic and senseless deaths over the weekend, in addition to the nine deaths already caused by the civil unrest in Oaxaca in the past several months, of course, underscore the critical need for a return to lawfulness and order in Oaxaca.

U.S. citizens should avoid any travel to Oaxaca City, and if they must travel there, they should exercise extreme caution throughout the state of Oaxaca until the government of Mexico restores order to the area.

This Announcement supersedes the previous public Announcement on Oaxaca we issued on August 24, 2006. Attached is the text of the updated Public Announcement which will now expire on November 15, 2006. The U.S. Embassy will be monitoring the situation in Oaxaca on a day to day basis to determine whether to alter this advisory in any way.”

Public Announcement Regarding Demonstrations in Oaxaca City, Oaxaca
October 30, 2006

This Public Announcement supersedes the Public Announcement dated August 24, which alerts U.S. citizens to the mounting violence and disorder in Oaxaca City, Oaxaca, Mexico. U.S. citizens should at this time avoid travel to Oaxaca City due to this increase in violence, which has resulted in at least nine deaths over the past several months. This Public Announcement expires on November 15, 2006.

On October 27, a U.S. journalist was fatally shot in Oaxaca City amid the ongoing violence and disorder caused by civil unrest. Several protest groups have engaged in increasingly violent demonstrations in and around Oaxaca City for several months, sometimes resulting in similarly violent reactions from other groups.

The Government of Mexico ordered the mobilization of the Federal Preventive Police (PFP) force to Oaxaca City on October 28 to quell violence and restore order to the area. Protesters and the PFP are currently engaged in violent confrontations within the city. There are reports that the main highway and secondary roads linking Oaxaca City to Mexico City may be closed at any time, and flights may be temporarily delayed or cancelled at the Xoxocotlan International Airport in Oaxaca City.

U.S. citizens already in Oaxaca should avoid demonstrations, remain in their homes or hotels, and avoid the downtown and surrounding areas during demonstrations or PFP operations, as random shootings and violence may occur at any time. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence unexpectedly. Since the timing and routes of marches and demonstrations are always subject to change, U.S. citizens should monitor local media sources for new developments and exercise extreme caution while within the vicinity of any protests.

U.S. citizens are reminded to avoid participating in demonstrations and other activities that might be deemed political by Mexican authorities. The Mexican constitution prohibits political activities by foreigners, and such actions may result in detention and/or deportation.

For the latest security information, U.S. citizens traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department's internet web site at http://travel.state.gov where the current worldwide caution public announcement, travel warnings and public announcements can be found. Up to date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the United States, or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). U.S. citizens traveling or residing overseas are encouraged to register with the appropriate U.S. embassy or consulate on the state department's travel registration website at https://travelregistration.state.gov.

For any emergencies involving U.S. citizens, please contact the U.S. embassy in Mexico City:
Office of Citizens' Consular Services
Reforma Ave 305
Col Cuauhtemoc
Mexico, D.F., Mexico CP 06500

Tel: [011-52](55) 5080-2000
or e-mail: ccs AT usembassy.net.mx.

fbeeldens said:
Kathy and Stephen,

Thanks very much for the info!

Looks like it could be dicey.

cheers,

filip
Hey filip,

The company that I work for had to cancel our Oaxaca tour coming up just after Christmas. We discussed the issue a number of times with local ground agents, and all agreed that the situation was not as dire as layed out in the US state department document. However, one never knows when and how bad things might become. Most of the recent troubles have been in the downtown area and around the university. Were you to stay in Teotitlan del Valle, or Mitla, for example, you might be completely unaware anything was going on in Oaxaca at all. I'm not trying to encourage you or dissuade you, but just realize that while the risks are real, they are also localized. If birding is your objective, you can probably do fine, as long as you keep current on what is going on and lodge somewhere outside of the city. Visiting the city itself is probably something to be avoided at this time. A real shame, as Oaxaca is a magical place.

Chris :-C

The UK foreign office (http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590) currently gives the following advice:

# We advise against all but essential travel to Oaxaca City. Since May 2006, there have been protests in the city of Oaxaca, some of which have turned violent. Since 28 October 2006, federal police have been in the city. There was increased violence over the weekend 25 - 26 November 2006. Several buildings were set alight, including the Supreme Court of Justice in Oaxaca and a number of hotels. Dozens of people were injured in the clashes. The situation remains tense with the potential for further violent incidents. You should see the Political Situation section of this advice for more details.

# The rest of the state of Oaxaca (including the resorts of Puerto Escondido and Huatulco) is largely unaffected, though some reports indicate that protestors have, at times, blocked some of the roads entering the state of Oaxaca. You are advised to monitor local media reports if travelling to, or through, Oaxaca State.

As Chris says, a real shame.

Stuart

hi filip,
for what it's worth, i birded sites in oaxaca near valle nacional just this week. no problems, and little evidence of the turmoil aside from a few signs both for and against Ulises, the state governor. that said, this is not particularly close to oaxaca itself. furthermore, many friendly mexicans (mostly in mexico city) advised me to stay clear of oaxaca.
cheers
brad

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back