• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Questions about House Sparrows in UK (2 Viewers)

Leafbringer

Australia
I read this article (2023) about the status of House Sparrows in the UK, and learned that their population is declining. While I'm aware that the population decline has been happening for decades, what are people doing to help the sparrows? I was wondering what kind of actions have been taken by conservationists, organizations and ordinary people to help House Sparrows survive and recover.

I also want to know if scientists were able to determine the main cause of the House Sparrow's decline (if there is one), or if it actually caused by multiple factors? (e.g. habitat loss, avian malaria, lack of insects, cell phone tower radiation, air pollution from unleaded petrol, etc)

Quite a few of the answers to your questions can be found here, particularly in the 'Causes and Solutions' part:
Interesting stuff. In the suburban areas where I grew up, almost all houses have converted their front gardens to paved parking, (or maintenance-free gravel/astroturf etc), it's very striking. Plus most houses have had extensions squeezed up to their boundaries, and larger areas of open ground/gardens have tall, narrow 3-storey houses built. No shrubs, lawns or inverts. And no eaves to nest under.

Interesting stuff. In the suburban areas where I grew up, almost all houses have converted their front gardens to paved parking, (or maintenance-free gravel/astroturf etc), it's very striking. Plus most houses have had extensions squeezed up to their boundaries, and larger areas of open ground/gardens have tall, narrow 3-storey houses built. No shrubs, lawns or inverts. And no eaves to nest under.
We inherited a very small garden when we bought our house- well over two thirds is paved. Within the paved area there are three trees. In the non- paved area there's a few small trees and bushes. We provide plenty of food for birds.
Throughout the year around 20 House Sparrow are resident or visit- plus 4 Tree Sparrow. They nest or roost in our trees and shrubs.
Last year there were at least two breeding pair of House Sparrow and one breeding pair of Tree Sparrow.
Other birds which successfully breed in the garden are Robin, Dunnock and Blackbird.
Other visitors or residents are Stock Dove, Wood Pigeon, Starling, Pheasant, Magpie, Wren, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit. Long Tailed Tit, Chaffinch, Sparrowhawk.
It's amazing what can be achieved with such a small space if some effort is put in.
Here's a photo of some the paved area with the three trees.

1710324442236.png

Last edited:
That's great! 🙂👍🐦

I think bushes/shrubs are vital to birds in built-up areas, Sparrows really need them for secure safe places to hang out in. Essential of course for nesting. Important sources of food - berries, and caterpillars (and flowers for insect food). 🙂🐦

Last edited:
I have had up to 70 House Sparrows visit in a day after the breeding season. I'm very surprised as around me people are ripping out hedges and other suitable habitat. I have a few established hawthorns that they love to perch in as their previously favoured hedge got cut down. The thing that baffles me is where they are nesting.

i didn't use to see one house sparrow in my garden until i started to put feeders out(quite a few),now i can get over a 100 at a time queuing up on the garden fence

Users who are viewing this thread

Back