• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quick & dirty review of 8x42 Opticron Aurora. (5 Viewers)

Sometime ago I briefly tried the Aurora's to see what all the fuss is about given Ratals huge enthusiasm. decided against them because of the focusser. Notchy and sloppy. Just didn't compare to my Leica, Meopta or Zeiss focusses.
That is a real shame.

I've thrashed mine across mountain moorland and sea, and the binocular just melts away leaving me 'in the view'.

I am 100% serious when I say I would not swap sell or get rid of these no matter what.

Nothing wrong with focuser on mine, not as smooth as my nikon hg's but I find that focuser almost too light
Maybe the ones with focusing issues were from the first factory runs.
That is a real shame.

I've thrashed mine across mountain moorland and sea, and the binocular just melts away leaving me 'in the view'.

I am 100% serious when I say I would not swap sell or get rid of these no matter what.
That’s quite a testimony to the Auroras.

The focus wheel not turning smoothly and turning CCW are pretty much the only negative comments I’ve read regarding the Auroras. I believe Ratal mentioned his works fine, so maybe the sticky focus wheel is only in a few of these binoculars. Cheers!

I bought mine 18 months ago (dunno where that sits with them being early or not).

The focus wheel was a bit notchy and sticky to start with, not massively so but enough to be irritating and I did consider sending them off / returning them in the first week. After a few weeks of use they started to break in nicely and I haven't had any issues with it after the first few months.

I did also find the twist up eye cups were a bit annoying as the notch when they're fully extended isn't super secure and when walking one would occasionally "unlock" so that, when you lifted the binoculars and held them to your eyes, the offending cup would twist in. I ended up putting 3 rubber o rings into each gap to semi-permanently lock the eyecups out and they're great now.

I bought mine 18 months ago (dunno where that sits with them being early or not).

The focus wheel was a bit notchy and sticky to start with, not massively so but enough to be irritating and I did consider sending them off / returning them in the first week. After a few weeks of use they started to break in nicely and I haven't had any issues with it after the first few months.

I did also find the twist up eye cups were a bit annoying as the notch when they're fully extended isn't super secure and when walking one would occasionally "unlock" so that, when you lifted the binoculars and held them to your eyes, the offending cup would twist in. I ended up putting 3 rubber o rings into each gap to semi-permanently lock the eyecups out and they're great now.
I was wondering if with extended use the focus wheel would loosen. That’s good to know. I read comments regarding the eye cups not staying put. That’s a great tip of using o-rings. Although, it’s too bad the eye cups aren’t removable if they ever need to be replaced by the user; however, that’s a small compromise if the Auroras are all they’re cracked up to be. I appreciate the information from your personal experience with the Auroras. Cheers!

Been using them a couple of weeks now and put quite a few hours into them, got to say they are fantastic. I find them really bright, very sharp and lots of contrast. I am still having lots of moments where I put them to my eyes and can't believe how good the view is. I don't have any issues with the focusing but I do have one eyecup which is as described above, I wear glasses but find I need them on the first turn but one always goes back down when I'm walking which is not OK at this price point but I am OK with resolving with o- rings but I shouldn't have to. This is a minor compared to the positives.

Been using them a couple of weeks now and put quite a few hours into them, got to say they are fantastic. I find them really bright, very sharp and lots of contrast. I am still having lots of moments where I put them to my eyes and can't believe how good the view is. I don't have any issues with the focusing but I do have one eyecup which is as described above, I wear glasses but find I need them on the first turn but one always goes back down when I'm walking which is not OK at this price point but I am OK with resolving with o- rings but I shouldn't have to. This is a minor compared to the positives.
Sounds like the Auroras might have the wow effect that I’m looking for and will fit my budget. The Conquest HD 8x32’s were very clear and bright but didn’t provide any “wow” effect for me. I agree that the eye cup movement is a minor that can be fixed with the o-rings. I appreciate you sharing your experience with the Auroras. Cheers!

Just so you know - at minus 42 degrees C - the Aurora met her limit. Been blooming parky in the interior at the Swedish / Norwegian border. Focusing became harder and slow. This did not happen when it was warmer (minus 18 to minus 25) during the day.
That’s pretty darn cold for any binoculars. I’m still interested in the Auroras and if funds permit, I might give them a try. Stay warm!

Just so you know - at minus 42 degrees C - the Aurora met her limit. Been blooming parky in the interior at the Swedish / Norwegian border. Focusing became harder and slow. This did not happen when it was warmer (minus 18 to minus 25) during the day.
This is great news! I'm Norwegian and have been trying to find an answer to this very question. -42C is very very cold even for the High North. Now I will purchase Aurora 10 X 42 and I hope they are every bit as good as the 8 X 42.
PS! Did you hear trees crack due to the cold:)?
PSS! What is blooming parky? I have never heard of this before.

Last edited:
Four months and hundreds of hours of use later, I am still very happy with these. Recently got some 8x32 zeiss conquest hd as a deal turned up that seemed too good to be true and I know you can't compare a 32 and 42mm but the zeiss aren't much smaller and I much prefer the aurora's, glare in particular is far far better than the conquests.

Four months and hundreds of hours of use later, I am still very happy with these. Recently got some 8x32 zeiss conquest hd as a deal turned up that seemed too good to be true and I know you can't compare a 32 and 42mm but the zeiss aren't much smaller and I much prefer the aurora's, glare in particular is far far better than the conquests.
I purchased the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32’s at a great price as well but ended up returning them. Even with the extended eyecups, they just didn’t work out for me. I liked the Conquest HD 8x42’s better and if I had found them at the same sale price, I would have bought and kept them. The Conquests are $200 off again, which might be an indication that Zeiss is coming out with a new version. It’s too bad no local shops carry the Auroras because I wanted to try them. I have the Opticron Aurora 8x42’s for the time being and am very happy with them for what they cost. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back