• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quick & dirty review of 8x42 Opticron Aurora. (1 Viewer)

Are there any longterm reviews or opinions on the Aurora 8x42 and 10x42 binoculars?
Outstanding. My 8x42 have been through hell in their time with me, and they just keep delivering the goodness.

Diopter is staying true, no hassle, a true set and forget offering and central location is a gem. Eyecups are fantastic, so so wonderfully comfortable in the field over a long week.

Focus wheel is silk, equal pressure either way with zero sloppiness or slack.

View still makes me smile. I truly absolutely could not sell my pair for anything as for the first time ever in 40 years of birding, I truly have all the boxes ticked with zero niggles or wants.

Phenomenal offering and well worthy of your time and money.

I’ve had my 8x42s for over a year now. I’m still madly in love with them. The feel just right and the image they produce is phenomenal. Everything about these binoculars is easy. Easy to carry in the field, easy to dial in to your personal needs, easy to focus and very easy to enjoy impeccable images.

Outstanding. My 8x42 have been through hell in their time with me, and they just keep delivering the goodness.

Diopter is staying true, no hassle, a true set and forget offering and central location is a gem. Eyecups are fantastic, so so wonderfully comfortable in the field over a long week.

Focus wheel is silk, equal pressure either way with zero sloppiness or slack.

View still makes me smile. I truly absolutely could not sell my pair for anything as for the first time ever in 40 years of birding, I truly have all the boxes ticked with zero niggles or wants.

Phenomenal offering and well worthy of your time and money.
Sounds like the Aurora binoculars are a keeper. Opticron doesn't have much of a presence here in the States, at least where I live, and it's a shame that more local dealers don't carry their optics. I was at a local hawk watch and was able to try binoculars from Leica, Swarovski, Vortex, and Zeiss. In the 1k price range, the Zeiss Conquests were the ones that I liked the most due to their brightness and clarity; however, I did notice that the eyecups weren't as smooth to adjust as the Trinovids and got stuck in place on a couple of occasions. I still have to try the Nikon HG, Meopta Meopro Air, and of course the Opticron Auroras. So far, I'm leaning towards the Conquests in an 8x42 because of field of view and because they seem clearer even at longer distances in that power. I appreciate your initial review and the update. Cheers!

I’ve had my 8x42s for over a year now. I’m still madly in love with them. The feel just right and the image they produce is phenomenal. Everything about these binoculars is easy. Easy to carry in the field, easy to dial in to your personal needs, easy to focus and very easy to enjoy impeccable images.
It seems that almost all of the owners of the Auroras are extremely satisfied with their binoculars. I've only read negative comments regarding the CCW focus wheel but don't think this would be an issue for me. I appreciate you sharing your experience with the Auroras. Cheers!

Sounds like the Aurora binoculars are a keeper. Opticron doesn't have much of a presence here in the States, at least where I live, and it's a shame that more local dealers don't carry their optics. I was at a local hawk watch and was able to try binoculars from Leica, Swarovski, Vortex, and Zeiss. In the 1k price range, the Zeiss Conquests were the ones that I liked the most due to their brightness and clarity; however, I did notice that the eyecups weren't as smooth to adjust as the Trinovids and got stuck in place on a couple of occasions. I still have to try the Nikon HG, Meopta Meopro Air, and of course the Opticron Auroras. So far, I'm leaning towards the Conquests in an 8x42 because of field of view and because they seem clearer even at longer distances in that power. I appreciate your initial review and the update. Cheers!
Keep in mind… Meopta has changed their lineup a bit. The older B1 & 1.1 and even the ‘plus’ model for the Meostar model is comparable to the ones you list, not so much the Meoproair. The Meostars are heavily price-changed ‘up’ to compare more as an alpha now. The Meoproairs, while good… are really a downgrade from the older Meostars B but Meopta raised the price on the Meopro’’s and now call them Meoproairs. Slight of hand in prices and names.

Keep in mind… Meopta has changed their lineup a bit. The older B1 & 1.1 and even the ‘plus’ model for the Meostar model is comparable to the ones you list, not so much the Meoproair. The Meostars are heavily price-changed ‘up’ to compare more as an alpha now. The Meoproairs, while good… are really a downgrade from the older Meostars B but Meopta raised the price on the Meopro’’s and now call them Meoproairs. Slight of hand in prices and names.
I noticed that Meopta raised their prices quite on bit. I've read mostly positive opinions and reviews on the Meopro Airs but not many on the regular Meopros. I've looked through a Meopro scope, and it's pretty clear glass. Cheers!

Last edited:
Every person who tried my Aurora out in the field has admitted that they never looked at Opticron before, let alone knew they did a professional field grade level bin.

The Aurora are magnificent. A solid 9.8 out of 10 from me. They lose .2 for the rain guard. That's it.

One thing to add - I have never once missed my Zeiss 8x42 SF. Not once, especially as the Aurora fit my face and hands absolutely perfect. Eyes to the ocular, instant delight.

One thing to add - I have never once missed my Zeiss 8x42 SF. Not once, especially as the Aurora fit my face and hands absolutely perfect. Eyes to the ocular, instant delight.
That says a lot if your much more expensive Zeiss binoculars have take a back seat to the Auroras. Cheers!

I too continue to be very happy with my Aurora 8x42. I am happy whenever I can use it. The only negative thing about my bino is a focuser that is not exceptional but gives me no problems when birdwatching

I too continue to be very happy with my Aurora 8x42. I am happy whenever I can use it. The only negative thing about my bino is a focuser that is not exceptional but gives me no problems when birdwatching
What don’t you like about the focused? Is it the CCW direction? Cheers!

I don't think I've ever seen a binocular championed as much as this Opticron, I was ferociously searching through all 5 pages to see if Dennis had commented, no sign!! so I guess I'm going to try a pair of these with an open mind.
Any long term owners out there can share any more thoughts on this binocular?

I don't think I've ever seen a binocular championed as much as this Opticron, I was ferociously searching through all 5 pages to see if Dennis had commented, no sign!! so I guess I'm going to try a pair of these with an open mind.
Any long term owners out there can share any more thoughts on this binocular?
I'm the opposite of a long term user, I got them this week! So far I'm very happy with my decision. Optics are beautiful, it feels solidly built, and the settings stay where I want them.

Th
I'm the opposite of a long term user, I got them this week! So far I'm very happy with my decision. Optics are beautiful, it feels solidly built, and the settings stay where I want them.
That's great news, I've had two Opticron porros before and both have been disappointing in regards to build quality, however these look a different animal. I will need to temper my expectations as I have been using the big boys these past few years with the cast including NLs. The NLs were not perfect for me, especially the 8x.
What does look promising is there overall performance at this price point and build quality, they seem to hit a sweet spot like the HGs, also it seems that they do not suffer from glare.

I feel that once people try them, get them into the field and use them for a bit, then the sum of all the parts creates a whole unit that is incredibly, incredibly hard to beat.

I'd not swap or sell mine for anything. Everything I tried before had niggles,had problems, where as the Aurora just melt away and leave you marvelling at the view.

For me? A true life time keeper.

I feel that once people try them, get them into the field and use them for a bit, then the sum of all the parts creates a whole unit that is incredibly, incredibly hard to beat.

I'd not swap or sell mine for anything. Everything I tried before had niggles,had problems, where as the Aurora just melt away and leave you marvelling at the view.

For me? A true life time keeper.
and the armour doesn't break up;)

Not yet - would report on it the moment it happens! And that said, mine take a beating and still just deliver all the goodness.

It will be a long, long time before I buy any other binoculars now - Zeiss VP 8x25 and these as a light / field combo.

I was a bit sceptical of Ratal's glowing praise for this binocular but after using an 8x42 all week I have to say these are indeed quite stunningly good binoculars for the price.

Having owned an SF 8x42 myself for 5 years and far too many other optics of all price levels I have to agree that these do genuinely appear to perform above their price level by quite some margin.

They give a real sense of washed clean, razor sharp transparency that I just didn't expect and that I haven't personally seen at this price range.

Well done Opticron for pulling this off, these deserve to do really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back