• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quinta Roo (Cancun) Guide Recommendations (2 Viewers)

lgonz1008

United States
My family just dropped on my lap that they wanted to do a trip to Cancun for the 4th of July weekend and all I heard was Mexican/Yucatan endemics. But since I'll only have 2, maybe 3, days of actual birding, I want to make the most out of it, so I need a guide for the region.

Anyone got a good local guide that they can recommend? My main goal is to get as many specialties as possible, even trying to get the Cozumel endemics but not the main priority, so I want a good guide that will be able to pick me up from the hotel and show me the birds before dropping me back. Any and all recommendations are welcome.

try birding with steven, he has online contact details and there's quite a few trip advisor reviews of this trips too.
he is based in the PDC quintana roo area.
though as far as wildlife is concerned the place is heaving, i got hummingbirds while walking along the side of the main highway from PDC to tulum, stupidly missed my stop on the collectivo and had t walk back one day, and bat falcon while up a viewing tower in the hotel grounds one evening, if you can wangle a family trip to one of the archaeological sites, (coba for example) you can do loads of birding while you walk round the mayan ruins too

My family just dropped on my lap that they wanted to do a trip to Cancun for the 4th of July weekend and all I heard was Mexican/Yucatan endemics. But since I'll only have 2, maybe 3, days of actual birding, I want to make the most out of it, so I need a guide for the region.

Anyone got a good local guide that they can recommend? My main goal is to get as many specialties as possible, even trying to get the Cozumel endemics but not the main priority, so I want a good guide that will be able to pick me up from the hotel and show me the birds before dropping me back. Any and all recommendations are welcome.

Did you end up going? Who did you use and how would you rate them?

Did you end up going? Who did you use and how would you rate them?
I contacted Miguel Amar from Birdwatching Tulum/Amar Aves, however, most of the trip was done with Joel Ortega who I can say with confidence is both a good guide and driver, but also someone who makes you feel like you are birding with a friend instead of a by the books field guide. In fact, I liked Joel's guiding so much that I'm planning a proper birding trip with him this December to Oaxaca!

I got to see 125 species and hear 10 more by only birding the Coba Region and Rio Lagartos area. If you want early starts, long days or even night birding, they can cater to it and while no target is guaranteed, you should expect at least a dozen Yucatan endemics from just 2 days like I did with them in the summer, I imagine that fall or winter birding would also give you a few dozen species that normally are further North when I visited.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back