• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rüppell's Vulture - the final chapter (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Folks might recall my pathetic posting describing my utter failure to see this species after several years holidaying in SW Andalucia so I thought only fair (to myself, not you lot) to let you see the final chapter of the saga!

On Friday 14th I got a text from two Kent friends staying in the Tarifa area that they’d had a couple of Rüppell's Vulture in the Ojen valley that afternoon - the second year running that they’ve seen the species in the area. Annoyingly, I’d been pottering around only about 15 minutes drive away. So instead of our cancelled pelagic (every time we try to see Orca’s something happens to stop the jaunt!) on Saturday, Liz and I were in the Ojen valley bright and breezy looking for vultures - well, I was looking, she was reading her book! After an hour or two our Kent friends turned up and we spent most of the rest of the day with them searching for Rüppell's. Despite there being fewer vultures about (70-80 vs 120+), they were very confident we'd relocate them, but apart from a distant 'possible' we had nothing. Naturally, that possible was one of a pair of birds seen above a distant ridge - they split up and the wrong bird flew directly over us whilst the other headed away and into the sun!

Next day Liz and I were back in the valley and we again met up with our Kentish pals who had a car load of very keen young Dutch birders in tow. Despite searching for much of the day once more we had far fewer vultures and certainly no 'possibles'. Actually with Honey Buzzards, Montie's, Black Kites, Booted & Short-toed Eagles constantly drifting over they were a couple of good days birding. It was only later that day that Liz reminded me that it was our wedding anniversary (No 34) - thank God neither of us makes a fuss about it! At least I’d had a good chance to look at photos of the birds which reminded me what I should be looking for - few books illustrate Rüppell's well and hardly any show sub-adult plumages (they take 6 years to mature I think).

Remarkably, it was Liz that suggested our third visit to the Ojen Valley (aka Oh-No-not-Ojen Valley) despite that fact that without company my chances had to be lower! After several hours searching, it was clear that even more vultures had cleared out and I was prepared to give up for another year and hope for the best in 2010. On a whim I headed down the Santuario de la Luz road hoping that the ice-cream kiosk there might be open (it wasn't), but at least this meant that I found in over 100 vultures all neatly stacked up circling above a nearby field and in perfect light! Full of hope, I methodically went through the lot - and they were all bloomin' Griffons! As they drifted away I was seriously pissed off, but not so much that I didn't notice more vultures arriving in dribs and drabs. So I continued looking and, 5 minutes later, I picked up a pair of vultures in the scope as they topped a distant ridge and, idly looping round, they made their lazy approach to where I sat.

Quite why one bird instantly rang the alarm bells I'm not sure. Rüppell's are smaller than Griffons, but sizes overlap and there can be a significant size difference between individual Griffons and besides the birds were too far away to be certain the size difference was real. Yes, it also flew with flat wings, but I'd seen enough Griffons do that to realise that not all of them always do what the field guides say they do!. Yet, despite being so distant that the image of the bird was still only "post-dot" but "pre-detail" this one looked good. Willing the bird to keep on track I watched it as it drew closer. Gradually I could resolve some detail on the bigger bird - a paler forewing and wasn't there a contrast on the upper wing? - but still I could make out little on the target bird. Then it banked shallowly - surely that was a extruded lozenge of white on an all dark underwing - and didn't it really look significantly smaller and slighter? A brief glimpse of the upperside confirmed that it was almost uniform in colour. Surely it was a Rüppell's! Happily it just kept coming towards me and even Liz - non-birder that she is and armed only with a pair of 8x20s - commented on its smaller size and darker upper wing. It flapped lazily, banked and glided at relatively close range - all ID points were confirmed and I was even able to note some pale 'scalloping' at the aft end. A Rüppell's at last! Any feelings of incompetence that my overlong search had engendered (and that it took a bumper season to get the species) were mitigated on my return home when I read the blog of a well known and respected Brit birder resident in SW Andalucia and found he still hadn’t seen the species!

I texted and left a message with our Dutch friends but got no reply. Fortunately, a few hours later I caught up with them - apparently my messages hadn't got through - and we all returned to the santuario. Keen as mustard and armed with big OG scopes the Dutch guys rapidly picked up a very distant 'suspect'. After a couple of frantic drives we caught up with the bird again. A much poorer view this time, but I was delighted to have helped them get a tick.

So in hindsight what advice would I give people looking for Rüppell's? Well first it has to be admitted that my birding trips in August are far more ‘relaxed’ than at other times – ‘birding-lite’ I call it (although Liz might disagree!). This is partly due to the excessive heat, but largely reflects that I’m there with my wife and not birding pals. Secondly, you just have to keep faith and plug away at all vultures you find. Thirdly, find your vultures – this is obvious I know, but I definitely felt that by keeping on looking until I stumbled across a decent flock was a big help. Getting them at a good light angle also helped. Fourthly, keep an eye out for any ‘Griffon’ that looks smaller and flies with flatter wings – it may still be an ‘odd’ Griffon, but it does help filter out the birds. Fifthly, in good light the distinctive features aren’t hard to see - the distinctive dark upperwing (even the darkest Griffon shows more contrast both in tone and in warmth) and that stark with ‘bird poo’ dribble on the underwing. (I described it, tongue in cheek, as a white “sub-terminal under-forewing”). Finally, it was a massive help to chat to an expert who had good recent photos – not an easy option to achieve so do your homework thoroughly & print off any good photos from the web,

Last edited:
Bet you feel just great John. Congratulations, I distinctly recall your previous efforts so justice is served and now you must find a new target to make you feel miserable about!

That's not a dig at you by the way John, isnt it just what we really like though, a target we keep missing?

Been a good time recently for you, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you get to see the Blue Cheeked Bee-eater down south too?

Fantastic John! Glad you caught up with Ruppell's Vulture at last.

You need to find another species to worry about not having seen yet! ;)

QUOTE=wolfbirder;1565065]Bet you feel just great John. Congratulations, I distinctly recall your previous efforts so justice is served and now you must find a new target to make you feel miserable about!

That's not a dig at you by the way John, isnt it just what we really like though, a target we keep missing?

Been a good time recently for you, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you get to see the Blue Cheeked Bee-eater down south too?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely right, Wolfbirder! My next target is Eleonora's Falcon which will probably mean staking out one of the well known migration watchpoints. I'm not sure my other half will be happy with that idea though! Neither am I sure she had much to celebrate that day - more a sense of relief! That said she really enjoyed getting fabulous close up views of eagles, kites etc from the Trafico 'observatory'. I also still have to find local Little Bustard and Pin-tailed Sandgrouse (although I've not put that much effort into seeing either). A definite Long-legged Buzzard would be nice too. However the biggest priority is to get out and see those Orcas before they become locally extinct.

Hopefully, this won't be too long since I'm planning to retire from teaching in 2010 which means I might be able to organise a week's 'full-on' birding trip there in late August/early September (after Mrs C has gone back to Blighty to start the new academic term). I suspect that it won't be hard to find some willing birders to join me!

I'd certainly recommend anyone volunteering for the 'Migres' programme - www.fundacionmigres.org The passage of raptors over the Straits is one of THE birding sights of Europe. It might encourage some to know that the vast majority volunteers (12:1 I was told) are young Spanish females (and although it might be dreadfully sexist to say so but very attractive ones too!). Oddly very few of them appeared to know much about bird ID so I did wonder what selection criteria were being applied!

And, yes, I did see the B-c Bee-eater which was found by one of the guys I met on the trip!

A great story all round - its always good to nail a long sought-after species. Birding wouldn't be birding without the bogey birds!

Not too sure about your definitions though - a "non-birding" wife who notices the lack of upperwing contrast is a bit like those photographers who post frame-filling "record shots".

Maybe my standards are just too low!

As for migration watching surrounded by Spanish babes - sounds like a real test to separate the hard core birders from the mere wannabes - percentage of time with eyes on the sky despite the views at ground level could almost be the subject for a PhD Sociology student.

As for being sexist I shouldn't worry about that - I'm sure any female birders who "bat for the other side" would find them attractive too!

Cheers
Mike

Well i am off to Spain for just 3 nights on Saturday, staying at Ronda. Can't wait, won't have time to look for Ruppell's or even Little Bustard (that I need for life list), but I am well pleased for you John.

Not too sure about your definitions though - a "non-birding" wife who notices the lack of upperwing contrast is a bit like those photographers who post frame-filling "record shots".

Mike

I assure you, Mike, that Liz is no birdwatcher! I gave up on her (ornithologically speaking) when I utterly failed in my attempt to get her to distinguish between Song & Mistle Thrush not long after we started courting (how old fashioned that expression sounds these days!). Admittedly, she loves watching Bee-eaters and Lesser Kestrels, thinks Cattle Egrets (Cedrics -Little Egrets being Egberts) and opines that Purple Gallinule are the most eccentric looking birds. However, this merely underscores the fact that she only comes birding when dragged off by me when we're on holiday in Spain!

Robin - a pity we didn't catch up with the species in spring, but perhaps I have got my 'eye-in' now,

As for being sexist I shouldn't worry about that - I'm sure any female birders who "bat for the other side" would find them attractive too!

Cheers
Mike

I also wouldn't worry about being sexist, its just a manifestation of normal male mammal behaviour unmodified by the artificialities of Western civilisation.

All those in favour say "Ugg".

John

Congrats on the Ruppel's Vulture! What a great bird to see in Europe. Is there just one? Did it decide to join a flock of Griffin's migrating north and ended up in Spain?

The sudden re-appearance of a previous thread of mine on this species reminds me to post the following link -
http://www.pbase.com/ruben_jorrit/image/116269086
- which shows a photo of myself (on the left), Liz and three of the Dutch birders enjoying a celebratory drink after seeing the Ruppell's. I must admit to being rather 'tickled' by the caption of the photo "Ruppells vieren met Hero John!". And, Ruben, if you're reading this when are you going to write up the trip?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back