• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Range of Grey v Grey-lined Hawks (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Following the split of these two species, I find myself, having to correct a couple of sightings and need to confirm that ranges do not overlap.

I had previously ticked what was then, Grey Hawk in Trinidad and Tobago and saw it again in Venezuela, it looks to me from given ranges now, that for the purposes of my list, a name change is neccessitated with Grey, becoming Grey-lined, can anyone confirm?

Presuming that this is a Grey-lined attached, from Sucre region, Venezuela.

Attachments

• DSC_4187.jpg
    DSC_4187.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Well ranges overlap in Western Panama/Costa Rica. I see there's a record for grey in Trinidad. Assuming this is correct then must be vagrant. Yours is the expected grey-lined I think; perhaps clearest character in the pic is the barring on the back

Well ranges overlap in Western Panama/Costa Rica. I see there's a record for grey in Trinidad. Assuming this is correct then must be vagrant. Yours is the expected grey-lined I think; perhaps clearest character in the pic is the barring on the back
Thanks Fern, range overlap in CR is NW where we didn't go and we didn't see either anyway so that's moot.

Thanks Fern, range overlap in CR is NW where we didn't go and we didn't see either anyway so that's moot.
Yes but that Trinidad record is odd.

(Ebird range suggests extends further east in the North of CR, w overlap in NW Panama. Probably more info now cf even recent field guides given articles on ID: Valley & Dyer show +/- no overlap for example)

Yes but that Trinidad record is odd.

(Ebird range suggests extends further east in the North of CR, w overlap in NW Panama. Probably more info now cf even recent field guides given articles on ID: Valley & Dyer show +/- no overlap for example)
Thanks again Fern, bottom line is that my sightings in Trinidad and N Venezuela, are only in the regular range of Grey-lined unless you consider vagrancy?

Those two observations in Trinidad are both from the same people in 2004. That was way before anyone talked seriously about splitting these as far as I know, so until proven otherwise I am going to assume these are mis-ids and should be Gray-lined.

Niels

There is no Gray Hawk on the official bird list "as of January 2014" http://rbc.ttfnc.org/trinilist.pdf

Last edited:
I have since seen an email confirming that Gray Hawk in Trinidad was an error. I expect it will be corrected.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back