• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID- Camargue Region France (1 Viewer)

Tucson Birder

United States
Hello folks, I got this distant photo of a raptor not far from Saintes Marie de la Mer in the Camargue. Can anyone pin down the ID? I was thinking Short-toed Snake Eagle but from what I can tell, Common Buzzard can be quite similar. The head appears fairly large to me. Of course, this being my first trip to the region from the US, I could be way off base anyway. Thanks in advance! Sharon

Attachments

• 9935F42A-EA3A-417C-A02A-DE7AC0684002_1_201_a.jpeg
    9935F42A-EA3A-417C-A02A-DE7AC0684002_1_201_a.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 118
Yep. Lightening the pic it's a shoe in for STS Eagle.

Attachments

• 20230722_122142.jpg
    20230722_122142.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 99
Hi Sharon,

I'd agree with Common buzzard - STE has a disproportionately large headed appearance, and I think I'm correct in saying it is one of the few raptors which shows a yellow iris from birth - this also leads the bird to having a "wide-eyed" appearance even at a distance - CB is more typical in that younger birds have a darker iris (like your bird). The barring on CB is variable, but too heavy here for STE. The white V on the chest is also a feature shown by CB but not by STE. Here is a typical dark CB in similar pose whilst here is a STE.

Thank you all- of course I was hoping for the STSE, but will take Common Buzzard. I'm fairly competent with raptor ID in my home region of SE Arizona, but well out of my comfort zone with European species. Thanks for all of the input. I'll be back home in Arizona watching Gray Hawks, Harris' Hawks and maybe a Short-tailed Hawk next week.

Another question- does Common Buzzard always have a yellow cere? Not relevant to this photo, but I was looking at photos of both species on the web and that seemed to be another difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back