• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

French Pyrenees autumn 2023 (2 Viewers)

dragnil

The glass is half full, but the bottle is empty.
United Kingdom
Working though images from a recent trip I have a couple I'd like to be more certain of and any help would be appreciated but please give reasons so I can learn.

_DLP3465.jpg

I'm useless with gulls and even more so if they are not adult, my instinct is to fall back on LBBG but a more ceratin ID would be appreciated.

The shots below are of a raptor which we thought was a Short-toed Eagle at the time. However, I have a history of calling very pale Buzzards all sorts of things and a friend who is much more expert than I says that this is also a Buzzard. Despite the seemingly small head, the wing shape and markings together with barred tail feathers still lead me to the eagle.
Opinions please and, again, please give reasons.

_DLP3496.jpg_DLP3500.jpg

Second set is a Short-toed Eagle moulting some primaries, which makes the hand look a bit narrower. The tail with evenly spaced bars and sharp corners is a good pointer. Also, perhaps most importantly, the lack of a pronounced carpal patch which Buzzards should always have in some form.

The gull is a hatch year Yellow-legged Gull, note pale head with a smudge around eye (thus eye looking big), and venetian blind effect (pale/dark) on inner primaries, would be mostly all dark in LBBG.

Thanks, Lou, that's really helpful and thanks to all eagle advisors. (I love StEagles!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back