• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID - Devon, UK. (1 Viewer)

greg_evans

Hello al,

I'd just welcome comments on the id of this raptor seen on Halesbere Common, Devon.

I didn't see the bird but the original observer said the bird in flight was a very pale cream colour, similar to that of a Barn Owl.

Once relocated in the tree the observer identitfied the bird as a Harrier sp, dark marking were noted on the wing tips.

I'd suggest that the bird was an Osprey on passage and not a harrier but i'm definatly open to suggestions as is the original observer as he was intrigued by the creamy, pale overall colour of the bird.

Cheers,

Greg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 195
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 226
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 282
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 277
hi greg its a looks like a osprey:t: note the Dark brown eyeline broadening behind eye.
Dark brown back and upperwings. hope this helps
jason

Last edited:
something really not right about this as an osprey and if the original observer says it was a pale cream all over in flight, it's got to be a pale common buzzard. Osprey would look more like a small head on a dark sack of a bird. Also, the brownish barring on the underparts above the leg (which are also yellow!) point to buzzard.

something really not right about this as an osprey and if the original observer says it was a pale cream all over in flight, it's got to be a pale common buzzard. Osprey would look more like a small head on a dark sack of a bird. Also, the brownish barring on the underparts above the leg (which are also yellow!) point to buzzard.

It's posture is all wrong for a buzzard (photo 1 and 4)
I'd still go with the Osprey

Derek

I'm with Nick on this one - it is a pale buzzard and not an osprey. It has some brownish markings on the underparts (osprey never has), legs are yellow (blue-grey on osprey), and the head parrtern is a brown 'hood' covering the crown (it's the direction of the strong sunlight gthat makes it look pale) and the ear coverts (osprey has a dark brown band across the eye and a largely whitish crown).

I remember being fooled myself initially when seeing a very strangely patterned pale buzzard sitting in a tree in France many years ago - osprey was my take at first glance.

Cheers,
Andrew

Despite the yellow legs I can't see anything but an osprey in wierd light...

This does not mean I'm right or that you should trust me on this, by any means:)

Hello all, thank you all for your replies.

The original observer, or my dad as he's better known, considered Osprey as it flew past and rejected it based on colour.

He said to me that he'd had a funny looking harrier and asked me to check out the pics when they were developed, my first instinct was certainly Osprey, based mainly on face pattern, but I can certainly see flaws in that, I didn't notice the yellow legs for a start!!!

It's a Common Buzzard. There are quite a lot of pale birds like this in Devon which get you going for a couple of seconds, even almost pure white ones.

This is a difficult one from the photo. My first instinct was also Buzzard as it somehow looks more a Buzzard shape, although the apparent dark line through the eye is one I have not seen on a Buzzard (not that I see many!).

The clincher would be if your Dad got a good view and could remember the wing configuration in flight.

An Osprey's wing shape is more reminiscent of Harrier in that it has a distinct bend at the carpel joint, whereas a Buzzard has a straighter, wing. The Osprey's wings are also much longer and thinner in appearance. Of course this is all dependent upon getting a good view in normal flight.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back