• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor Southern Spain (1 Viewer)

I can't say that I have seen this myself and resident hobbies appear to be thin on the ground.In my town we have many lesser kestrels and many swifts but I have never seen one hunting the other......Eddy

Thanks. Not peregrine. Have to lean towards Eddie the Eagle's local knowledge. Not familiar with lesser kestrel. I always assumed hovering as home kestrels. These have fast wingbeats and then glide. Only saw one kill but a few attempts.

Personally, the only raptor I have seen hunting and catching swifts is Eleanoras Falcon, which pass through this area in May/June, with some young birds staying till autumn around Monda/Coín, to the north of Marbella.

Having checked back through some notes I remember seeing swallows mobbing a sparrowhawk one evening whilst flying over my house,so maybe the sparrowhawk was hunting the swallows and swifts that appear most evenings......Eddy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back