• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor sp., Mauritania (1 Viewer)

Geo94

Hi all, I've got the one photo attached (so apologies for not having a better photo/more angles) of a small-medium eagle-sized raptor taken this November in coastal clifftop habitat in northwest Mauritania. I won't make any suggestions to avoid leading anyone, but I'd be interested to hear what people think. Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0732_2.jpg
    IMG_0732_2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 160
Booted eagle. But a) it's good to credit people with the ability to be objective, and b) it helps both you and the people trying to help you (and saves time) if you give all the available info from the outset - including your own thoughts, which will be based not only on the photo but also on your own feelings from the field.

Thanks both, I was leaning towards juvenile Bonelli's (given the reddish underparts, slender head and fine barring) but also considering the possibility of booted, with both occurring in the area. I hadn't considered hawk-eagle based on range, but is northern Mauritania possible for the species?

Thanks very much both, sounds like juvenile Bonelli's is a good bet then - the one other (dreadful) photo I have of a marginally differently angle shows there is no black tail tip (in case that's of use re: hawk-eagle). Cheers

Thanks very much both, sounds like juvenile Bonelli's is a good bet then - the one other (dreadful) photo I have of a marginally differently angle shows there is no black tail tip (in case that's of use re: hawk-eagle). Cheers
Could you post that image anyhow? Just so I can take a peek? And Mauritania? Yeah, that is a special place indeed. Very beautiful but goodness me does that desert need respecting as you travel about.

Thanks all - a couple of marginally different photos below, which provide a little extra detail of the primaries/tail.

And Ratal, it really is an interesting place to visit, particularly on migration - although agreed, travelling through the desert is certainly not to be taken lightly!

Attachments

• IMG_0736_2.jpg
    IMG_0736_2.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0737_2.jpg
    IMG_0737_2.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 85
Thanks both - Ratal, it would be great if you could explain why it's an African hawk eagle, and for opinions from anyone else who disagrees - AHE would be a pretty unexpected find in northern Mauritania from what I can gather from the available literature.

Hi all, I've got the one photo attached (so apologies for not having a better photo/more angles) of a small-medium eagle-sized raptor taken this November in coastal clifftop habitat in northwest Mauritania. I won't make any suggestions to avoid leading anyone, but I'd be interested to hear what people think. Cheers
Hi. Juv bonelli's for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back