• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor with white bits, Benacre, Suffolk (2 Viewers)

Real Grosser on my list said:
I still haven't caught up with Lesser Canada Goose and I'll be heading up to Caerlaverock some time in the winter. I'll be watching the bird in fancy dress. I'll post the pictures here.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

If you let everyone on BF know when this is going to be you could have a bigger twitch than the LCG 3:)

martin

Hi all,
However, I did look at 200+ images of medium to large juvenile BOPs and in September to November they all look immaculate.
I am so convinced that this bird isn't a juvenile that I'll twitch my next British lifer dressed as a banana if images can be found and posted here of medium to large sized juvenile BOPs that prove otherwise......
Andy.

Martin,

Note that images were not posted here (ie, Birdforum) that demonstrated that other juv raptors could suffer such wear so I think I'm being a better sport than most others would be.

If you want the date of my LCG twitch, then come up with the goods! Before you start looking, will you dress as a banana at your next twitch if you can't find any?

Money where your mouth is please........

Cheers,

Andy.

Martin,

Note that images were not posted here (ie, Birdforum) that demonstrated that other juv raptors could suffer such wear so I think I'm being a better sport than most others would be.

If you want the date of my LCG twitch, then come up with the goods! Before you start looking, will you dress as a banana at your next twitch if you can't find any?

Money where your mouth is please........

Cheers,

Andy.

Surely these images posted here...

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=68594

depict a medium to large sized juvenile BOP that proves otherwise

Ben Rackstraw said:
Surely these images posted here...

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=68594

depict a medium to large sized juvenile BOP that proves otherwise
Hi Ben,

If the bird at Bencare is a juv, it is the only example of a juv BOP showing such wear. That has always made it so unlikely which is why my request to see other (or just one) examples is not unreasonable.

Perhaps I should stick to my original statement afterall.........unless you can find that one other example needed? Perhaps you, if not Martin, will rise to the challenge?Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Ben,

If the bird at Bencare is a juv, it is the only example of a juv BOP showing such wear.

Andy.

It is a juvenile. Do you still not agree with this?

If no one can find (or be bothered to find), a pic of a worn juv BoP then you/we have all learnt that in very unusual circumstances, juv BoPs can show this amount of wear, if nothing else.

just put on the costume, post the pic and move on

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
It is a juvenile. Do you still not agree with this?

If no one can find (or be bothered to find), a pic of a worn juv BoP then you/we have all learnt that in very unusual circumstances, juv BoPs can show this amount of wear, if nothing else.

just put on the costume, post the pic and move on

Tim

Tim,

I still think its ridiculous to come to a 'conclusion' which is scientifcally baseless. Admitting to being 'not being bothered to find' evidence is not something to boast about.

I just thought it would be a good idea to close this thread and hence my post, made in good faith, on the 20th.

It should have stopped there. Do the moderators agree? Time for a lock?

Tim,

I still think its ridiculous to come to a 'conclusion' which is scientifcally baseless. Admitting to being 'not being bothered to find' evidence is not something to boast about.

maybe you should as Dick the same question?

I don't know if people can be bothered or not to find evidence Andy. Maybe there isn't any. Maybe this is the first example. Probably not though

Tim

I just thought it would be a good idea to close this thread and hence my post, made in good faith, on the 20th.

It should have stopped there. Do the moderators agree? Time for a lock?
Yep, contact them and let them delete everything after your promise!

Tim Allwood said:
maybe you should as Dick the same question?

I don't know if people can be bothered or not to find evidence Andy. Maybe there isn't any. Maybe this is the first example. Probably not though

Tim

well I just hope that you don't produce scientific information based on 'data' if you feel that 'data' is not important, but opinion is King. Tell me you don't write articles for the OBC?

Xenospiza,

My 'promise' was made with a condition. That condition has not been met.

Contributors to this thread have already stated that their standards are so low that they 'can't be bothered' to produce evidence to support their opinions.

Cheers,

Andy.

well I just hope that you don't produce scientific information based on 'data' if you feel that 'data' is not important, but opinion is King. Tell me you don't write articles for the OBC?

Andy.

cheeky grosser

I haven't said data isn't important. No one has said they can't be bothered.I just thought with it being an internet forum people might not want to trawl for photos to satisfy you, esp after Dick F has weighed in etc. I agree with you that pix would be nice but i'm not about to start insulting some nice people because they dont.

never wrote articles, only edited them. You should join. It's a great organisation.

will someone else who was more involved with the thread take this one up?

Tim

Last edited:
Hi there,
Cool. Then put up or shut up. I wish somebody would! Seems like no-one is up to it?
I HATE arrogance, so, just for that, I've e-mailed Dick Forsman, and asked if he could send on some photos (if any) of 1st cal year raptors, partial albinos or otherwise, with moderate to extreme plumage wear....
Regards,
Harry

Last edited:
Harry Hussey said:
Hi Marcus,

I HATE arrogance, so, just for that, I've e-mailed Dick Forsman, and asked if he could send on some photos (if any) of 1st cal year raptors, partial albinos or otherwise, with moderate to extreme plumage wear....
Regards,
Harry

I have already asked Dick Forsman for the same info as I can't find any examples myself. But at least I tried doing that first, Harry.

I have made it clear that I would be happy to admit I'm wrong as soon as there is some evidence to support what has been said.

Last edited:
I DON'T assume that I am right, don't make THAT mistake!
If Dick and Killian come back to me and say that the 'mystery' bird can't be a juvenile, and take the time to explain why (rather than talk down to me in patronising tones like you have done on here, time and time again), then I'll happily hold my hands up and admit that I was mistaken...will you do the same if they say it WAS a juvenile???
Harry

Last edited:
I'm sure this one was posted back in the early eons of this thread, but liked it so i saved it. Sorry to the photographer involved. Guess i should link to it, but i can't be bothered to trawl 10 pages to find it. Its very hard to make out, but this juvenile bird does seem to show excessive wear to some of the remiges. If someone better at manipulating images than me can clear up this image and clarify this, that'd be great.

Attachments

• 2%7E79.jpg
    2%7E79.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 300
Frenchy said:
I'm sure this one was posted back in the early eons of this thread, but liked it so i saved it. Sorry to the photographer involved. Guess i should link to it, but i can't be bothered to trawl 10 pages to find it. Its very hard to make out, but this juvenile bird does seem to show excessive wear to some of the remiges. If someone better at manipulating images than me can clear up this image and clarify this, that'd be great.

I couldn't make out that much wear on this bird, just loads of partial albinism. I could be wrong. But it was the second closest effort to date.

Harry - Personally I thought we were cool after some earlier private correspondence so I was dismayed by your last post. If you can get someone to explain what is going on with the Benacre bird then I would be absolutely delighted. Asking for examples to back up a claim is NOT arrogance.

Cheers,

Andy.

Harry Hussey said:
I DON'T assume that I am right, Marcus, don't make THAT mistake!
If Dick and Killian come back to me and say that the 'mystery' bird can't be a juvenile, and take the time to explain why (rather than talk down to me in patronising tones like you have done on here, time and time again), then I'll happily hold my hands up and admit that I was mistaken...will you do the same if they say it WAS a juvenile???
Harry

Oh, and don't call me Marcus! He would be most upset (if he ever gets off Fair Isle).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back