• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors in the news (1 Viewer)

Nightranger

Senior Moment
It makes you wonder what is afoot because the BBC have gone with the 'sea eagles taking lambs' story whilst the RSPB choose to illustrate another gamekeeper conviction story. Far be it from me to suggest someone is trying to 'bury bad news' but it makes you wonder which came first (well it does me anyway). ;)

Seriously though, the sea eagle story concerns me because it is indisputable that sea eagles will take lambs albeit mostly dead or dying animals yet I hope the crofters are not embellishing a little too in the hope of boosting compensation. In many ways, it is an age-old story so I hope the RSPB and SNH do not become over-defensive about the possibility of sea eagles taking live lambs because it could serve to widen a gulf that has not been a problem recently. I also hope that this is not another case of anti-raptor groups being opportunistic in the light of further sea eagle reintroduction plans. Over to you.

I think its a case of anti-raptor groups trying to counter act the gamekeeper conviction story. It was mentioned on Radio 4 that the Sea Eagles were reported to of taken over 200 lambs this season. According to conservation groups there are only 3 pairs in this area so the numbers don't add up. But it is funny how these stories come out one after the other.

I think its a case of anti-raptor groups trying to counter act the gamekeeper conviction story. It was mentioned on Radio 4 that the Sea Eagles were reported to of taken over 200 lambs this season. According to conservation groups there are only 3 pairs in this area so the numbers don't add up. But it is funny how these stories come out one after the other.

I suspect you are right but there is a danger that a claim like this can gather momentum if not answered adequately enough. It is a bit like the old RP issue that is largely fuelled by talk in various clubs (sadly, something similar happens with anglers and cormorants too) even though occasional magazine articles appear where a one-sided case is presented. Given that the crofters do not have national circulation magazines to act as a forum it would be easy to insinuate this into the community (under the radar) as a general belief. Bingo, then we have another bunch of people that hate raptors even though (as you said) the numbers do not add up. The sad part is that the crofting community has generally been sympathetic to the sea eagles because they also offer the valuable service of removing dead lambs from the environment with the strict rulles now around about leaving carcases out in the field.

crofters don't make any money, therefore they can make money from the rspb if they whip up enough of a fuss - and this is the media, what did you expect? research and facts?

crofters don't make any money, therefore they can make money from the rspb if they whip up enough of a fuss - and this is the media, what did you expect? research and facts?

I think markho may have it spot on but it just feels a bit dangerous to ignore this story because as you say, it is the media. I am sure the RSPB and SNH will be talking with the crofters but what happens to the individuals that they do not talk to? From small acorns... I think the biggest danger could be that the crofters will hold the moral high ground [hardships battling against nature etc] to people who are neutral or less sympathetic to wildlife. I can see a lot of political positioning for a potential battle against (or at least resistance to) conservation and wildlife in general in the light of the financial situation. Sarah Palin in the USA could be a good example of this and I don't mean her pro-hunting credentials either.

I asked farmers on Isle of Skye who I rented a cottage of how many lambs where lost to eagles and the number was 1 in 2006 and this was on a big estate.
There is also a farmer who actually puts offal out for a pair of SE on the Gruinard Estate not far from Gairloch which they do come down and actually eat.

From what I gathered he has had no lambs taken either, even before he stareted feeding them.

What most people already know about SE and taking into account the above I would have thought some of these crofters have had a serious knock on the head resulting in their basic maths being affected.

If they had came up with half a dozen or a dozen maximum for 1 year between the 3 pairs on the estate this might be believable.

200 lambs is just absolutely ridiculous.

Why should this happen on the Gruinard estate and no where else ??

If this is the case up there then crofters on the isle of Mull should be loosing nearly 1000 lambs a year.

or is it the SE further North like the taste of lamb better than all the SE on Mull and Skye for that matter. Maybe.................................

but I very much doubt it....................................someone is trying to pull a fast one here for a bit of dosh I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back