• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

rare vagrants at Manguo pond Limuru nr Nairobi (1 Viewer)

mike davidson

Brian Finch , Nigel Hunter , Karen Plumbe and myself had a morning visit to Manguo ponds last thursday and we were lucky !

We had two rare vagrants , Ferruginous Duck and Gadwall , both very rare agrants plus an intra africa migrant the Western Reef Heron , which apparantly come from the NE of Africa.

Two Kenyan Lifers for me .

Lots of other waders , terns etc

Mike D in nairobi

Brian Finch , Nigel Hunter , Karen Plumbe and myself had a morning visit to Manguo ponds last thursday and we were lucky! We had two rare vagrants , Ferruginous Duck and Gadwall , both very rare agrants plus an intra africa migrant the Western Reef Heron , which apparantly come from the NE of Africa. Two Kenyan Lifers for me. Lots of other waders , terns etc. Mike D in nairobi

Mike D,
It's worth noting for possible future reference to your observation that the Reef Heron from the Red Sea (NE Africa to points east) might be considered Egretta (gularis) schistacea Indian Reef Heron, separate from Pacific E.[g.] sacra and Western E.(g.) gularis of NW Africa. There is a case for a deeper analysis of Little Egret E. garzetta and all gularis taxa to clarify their relationships*; I also understand that Hadoram Shirhai and Lars Svensson have also examined specimens of some of these taxa, but whether there is a paper in the offing, I don't know.
MJB
*Parkin, DT and AG Knox. 2010. The Status of Birds in Britain and Ireland. Helm, A&C Black. London, UK.

Last edited:
MJB

thanks for this . I will pass it onto our experts here

Mike D

Mike D,
It's worth noting for possible future reference to your observation that the Reef Heron from the Red Sea (NE Africa to points east) might be considered Egretta (gularis) schistacea Indian Reef Heron, separate from Pacific E.[g.] sacra and Western E.(g.) gularis of NW Africa. There is a case for a deeper analysis of Little Egret E. garzetta and all gularis taxa to clarify their relationships*; I also understand that Hadoram Shirhai and Lars Svensson have also examined specimens of some of these taxa, but whether there is a paper in the offing, I don't know.
MJB
*Parkin, DT and AG Knox. 2010. The Status of Birds in Britain and Ireland. Helm, A&C Black. London, UK.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back