• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rattling Zeiss Victory Harpia 95 (1 Viewer)

kholm

Finland
I finally updated my spotting scope. I read different reviews and watched youtube clips about different spotting scopes. I ended up buying a new Harpia 95. The big surprise when I got it was the rattling. Now afterwards i find on Zeiss supportforums mention about "slight rattling" and they are assuring it is normal.

I wouldn't have been so surprised and worried for the rattling if it was mentioned in any of the reviews I saw.
Now the big question is whether my piece of Harpia is rattling to much or is it normal?

Difficult to say. Zeiss is willing to take the harpia to germany and rattle it to see if it's within tolerance. I made a videoclip with the phone and sent them, but it's difficult from a clip to say the level of rattling and if it's ok.

It's a bit annoying to immediately send back your spotting scope to manufacturer to see if it's okay.

It has a 10 year warranty. I'm worrying about the mechanical wearing inside the scope because of rattling. Having the spotting scope in car and driving on bumby roads will make the scope rattle.

The scope has a sharp picture and else I love the scope. But the rattling makes me worried. I hear from many it's a feature to this model, but at the same time it seems to be quite common to send harpias back for testing and see whether it's within tolerance. One would assume there are quality checks before sent from factory.

One nice thing to know is exactly how the loose piece is built in there to understand the rattling. I have some problems putting the words "rattling", "precise instrument" and "built to last" in the same sentence.

Any experience on Harpias rattling?

Iltaa,

Welcome.

Where is the rattling?

Front objectives should rattle a bit to prevent pinched optics from being too tight.
Loose elements can rotate out of best position, but with modern optics this may not be a concern.

It can also vary with temperature.
What was or is the temperature?

A focus element may also rattle.

Rattling in itself isn't a problem, but if bad it may indicate too loose optics rather than tight optics.

Or is this a mechanical item rattling?

Terveisin,
B.

Hei :)

The rattling seems to be by the focusing mechanism. You can check it here:
Okular off
and

It's inside (room temperature) and the scope has been taken right out of the box.

Last edited:
Moi,

Unfortunately my computer is ancient and I cannot make the link work, and I am not good with these things.

In addition my T.V. has become a zombie T.V. after I foolishly updated it when asked.
I have lost Youtube and other services.
Just Freeview by getting back to factory settings.
This zombie T.V. switches itself off completely, or sound off, or picture off.
Sometimes it goes off, sometimes comes back, sometimes doesn't.
After 5 minutes or an hour.

The wonders of the modern world.

Perhaps someone else can give an opinion on the Harpia as to whether this is a fault or normal.

Best wishes,
B.

Yes, I could hear that rattling when you shook the unit. It certainly does not inspire confidence in me, even if the shaking does not represent " normal " use. It is not acceptable, even if by design.

I wouldn't hesitate in returning the unit back to the retailer, not Zeiss unless you purchased it directly, and requesting a different one, keep a note of the serial numbers of the body and ocular lens.

Yes, I could hear that rattling when you shook the unit. It certainly does not inspire confidence in me, even if the shaking does not represent " normal " use. It is not acceptable, even if by design.

I wouldn't hesitate in returning the unit back to the retailer, not Zeiss unless you purchased it directly, and requesting a different one, keep a note of the serial numbers of the body and ocular lens.
Thank you

No, it’s not ”normal use” to shake it like that. I sent it back to retailstore for testing. Zeiss’ country representative here said they would send it to Zeissfactory in Germany for checkup. I wrote them I’d rather see them sending me an other unit. That is for two reasons: 1) hopefully one that rattles less and gives me a better notion of being a unit of solid zeiss quality 2) I’ll have a spotting scope sooner.

Yes I have the serial so I will se if I get a new unit (hopefully) or if they try to convince me and say it’s normal. If this rattle is normal I’d like to read about the rattle in reviews or somewhere before I find it out when I pick it out of the box.

Last edited:
If this rattle is normal I’d like to read about the rattle in reviews or somewhere before I find it out when I pick it out of the bobox.
You say this problem is mentioned on Zeiss support forums, what is the conclusion or response to this problem?
Good luck in receiving a quiet replacement very soon.

Supportforum is after market. My research on this shows it’s quite common to send back a harpia for testing and judging if the rattle is within tolerance or not. Hoping for the best.

Hi Kholm,

Did you have the final solution ? as i just got my 95, it has same problem. i have to return to retailer. also there are minor dust on the glass inside. it is really unacceptable.

Thanks
Jason

Hi Kholm,

Did you have the final solution ? as i just got my 95, it has same problem. i have to return to retailer. also there are minor dust on the glass inside. it is really unacceptable.

Thanks
Jason
Hi Jason

The rattling is something Harpia does. I went to a store with several Harpias and they all rattled. Some even more than mine.
I’ve been using it and pleased with it except for the rattling.

Kaj

Hi Jason

The rattling is something Harpia does. I went to a store with several Harpias and they all rattled. Some even more than mine.
I’ve been using it and pleased with it except for the rattling.

Kaj
Hi Kaj,

Thanks for fast reply, the sales also explain this is kind of focus mechanism. so just ignore it.

Haven't Zeiss thought about using elastomers or spring-loading?
Swarovski have spring-loaded the focussing lenses of their binoculars for years to assure synchronous movement.
It's hard to imagine that rattling components transported over long distances would be without negative consequences.

John

I have a Rattling in my Zeiss Dialyt 18-45 scope when I shake it. It comes from the eyepiece inside. Sounds like a „Klack“ I read in the internet it is normal on zoom eypices?!? The picture is fine. No issue’s. Forget it, or send it to Zeiss?

I have a Rattling in my Zeiss Dialyt 18-45 scope when I shake it. It comes from the eyepiece inside. Sounds like a „Klack“ I read in the internet it is normal on zoom eypices?!? The picture is fine. No issue’s. Forget it, or send it to Zeiss?
After reading your post i just checked mine. If i listen very carefully i can hear also a remote sound. Hardly noticeable. As a matter of fact i recently discovered that my Leica Duovid (with two magnifications) also makes a sound when i put it upside down and vice versa. Almost not noticeable, i have to put my ear next to it to detect it. Nothing to worry about i guess as there are moving parts inside. Then my Leica UV 10x25 rattles a little bit when i shake it. But why shake a binocular anyway…. If it gets worse though we might have a problem :unsure:

Last edited:
After reading your post i just checked mine. If i listen very carefully i can hear also a remote sound. Hardly noticeable. As a matter of fact i recently discovered that my Leica Duovid (with two magnifications) also makes a sound when i put it upside down and vice versa. Almost not noticeable, i have to put my ear next to it to detect it. Nothing to worry about i guess as there are moving parts inside. Then my Leica UV 10x25 rattles a little bit when i shake it. But why shake a binocular anyway…. If it gets worse though we might have a problem

The Noise that i can hear is louder i think. When i shake the Scope i can heal clearly ther is a movement in the Okular. But the Picture is sharp and clear. Ive read that some other zoom scopes have this Problem too. Also some Swarovski Scopes. Hmm.. Dont know what i should do....

By the way, when i turn the magnification on 18 times it sounds louder than on 45. On 30 times its also louder than on 45...

Not a Zeiss, but I did have experience with a Swarovski ATX that rattled. And another one that didn’t. Very confusing.
I had an ATX 85 mm that rattled terribly and Sawrovski promptly fixed the issue under warranty, it wasn't 'normal.'

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back