• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Razorbill or murre? (Iceland) (1 Viewer)

lowressgbirding

Singapore
Hi,

I was on a puffin-watching boat tour when I saw this bird flying pass. Is it possible to ID what it is from these pictures? Unfortunately these were the only photos I have; sorry for the poor quality. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20230602_154635-01.jpeg
    20230602_154635-01.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 20230602_154633-01.jpeg
    20230602_154633-01.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 20230602_154634-01.jpeg
    20230602_154634-01.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 137
Third one I'd agree is a Razorbill - the pale markings on the bill can be seen; the same might apply to the first one, but that could be something on the ground. Middle one is a puffer fish.

Thanks for the replies! Just to clarify that all the pics are of the same bird, taken at different time points as it was flying.

(Haha at the pufferfish comment.)

In none of the photos is the bird identifiable beyond being either guillemot sp. or razorbill. The 'bill-markings' could easily be background or photo-artefact. In photos of this extremely low quality (no offence), I doubt that actual bill- or face-markings would show up at all. Note that even the bill-shape isn't discernible. If it was to be identified it might be by the amount of white on the wing and/or upperbody, but in such a fuzzy photo that couldn't be trusted to represent reality either.

In none of the photos is the bird identifiable beyond being either guillemot sp. or razorbill. The 'bill-markings' could easily be background or photo-artefact. In photos of this extremely low quality (no offence), I doubt that actual bill- or face-markings would show up at all. Note that even the bill-shape isn't discernible. If it was to be identified it might be by the amount of white on the wing and/or upperbody, but in such a fuzzy photo that couldn't be trusted to represent reality either.
I wouldn’t think Common Guillemot is in the running, as the flanks in all the photos appear clean.

Truth be told it’s never going to be possible with such low res photos. Maybe that’s where the OP gets his name from. 😀

I wouldn’t think Common Guillemot is in the running, as the flanks in all the photos appear clean.

Truth be told it’s never going to be possible with such low res photos. Maybe that’s where the OP gets his name from. 😀
Yes indeed 😁 I photograph birds with my phone camera. Depending on the how far the birds are, some turn out decent, but others like these are challenging to ID 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back