• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reasons for house sparrow decline - research (1 Viewer)

hil5 said:
Tits only lay one, large brood and it seems insects are not a problem for the first sparrow brood. It is the later second and third broods when problems arise. The sparrow does not lay as many eggs in one go as the blue tit and needs its 2-3 broods to keep its population stable.

It could also be different insects needed. I believe blue tits concentrate on caterpillars on trees.
Thanks for that - I didn't know that was the case. I read that the bluetit needs an oak caterpillar - but garden blue tits might find other grubs, I suppose.

citrinella said:
Hi Steve,

... I am pretty wary of government funding.

Mike.
Thanks for the full reply Mike - it's good to hear other informed viewpoints. I hear what you say but wonder what kinds of funding are really the best all round. It's a difficult one. A "free" market hardly seems a possibility, does it?

We lost our House Sparrows a few years ago when hedges were taken out, walls were built and front gardens were turned to stone.I am pleased to say that around 50 House Sparrows visit our garden again, which is about the norm in relation to then.I wouldn't dream of using pesticides at all. :flyaway:

I'm surprised that there is a decline, they seem like incredible survivors to me. Often out in the middle of the desert at some remote petrol station with hardly a tree within 100 miles pretty much the ony birds you'll see are house sparrows. Always associated with man though and for some strange reason gas/petrol stations seem to support them quite well, maybe all the dropped potato chips.

scampo said:
Thanks for that - I didn't know that was the case. I read that the bluetit needs an oak caterpillar - but garden blue tits might find other grubs, I suppose.

There's potentially a tie-up with the increasingly early spring- research on e.g Great Tits suggest that breeding success is reducing as their laying dates no longer match up so closely with the main hatching phase of oak caterpillars. (This date mismatch has long been my favourite theory for the sudden decline in LS Woodpecker.) But recently some encouraging Dutch suggesting that some female Great Tits seem able to advance their laying date- so over time they may be able to re-align their dates.

citrinella said:
Very like communism - never exists in real life. (I'm talking about any commodity.)

Mike.
My son - doing an English degree and keen on these things - said much the same the other day. But, I wonder. Marxism was never given, and never will be given, a chance. I think it would require too much hard work and commitment and that would never do.

white-back said:
There's potentially a tie-up with the increasingly early spring- research on e.g Great Tits suggest that breeding success is reducing as their laying dates no longer match up so closely with the main hatching phase of oak caterpillars. (This date mismatch has long been my favourite theory for the sudden decline in LS Woodpecker.) But recently some encouraging Dutch suggesting that some female Great Tits seem able to advance their laying date- so over time they may be able to re-align their dates.
I'm surprised at that as the actual hatching of eggs can be quite radically altered, I thought, to co-incide with food source availability.

I wonder about competition with the increasing numbers of gsw's and grey squirrels concerning the lsw decline. It also liked elms, didn't it - and dead elms are now disappearing fast.

No real relevance, but was watching the almost hundred strong flock of Tree Sparrows today in the garden, squabbling over the grain as usual, and suddenly I saw a male House Sparrow!!! Real chuffed, only the second that has ever graced my property! :)

Jos Stratford said:
No real relevance, but was watching the almost hundred strong flock of Tree Sparrows today in the garden, squabbling over the grain as usual, and suddenly I saw a male House Sparrow!!! Real chuffed, only the second that has ever graced my property! :)
I like the word "graced" - what a delightful way to describe the coming of a bird, however everyday!

Just a simple idea with regards to gardens. Always try to put something in that has a tangible value to wildlife. Never put anything in that requires pesticides/herbicides to survive. Don't use shop bought annual bedding plants. Fill your garden up with shrubs, trees, perennials, self seeders and plants you can take seed from/split to propogate. This will leave you with a garden you can tidy up once in the autumn. Outside of this it largely looks after itself. The birds/butterflies etc love it.

John o'Sullivan said:
Just a simple idea with regards to gardens. Always try to put something in that has a tangible value to wildlife. Never put anything in that requires pesticides/herbicides to survive. Don't use shop bought annual bedding plants. Fill your garden up with shrubs, trees, perennials, self seeders and plants you can take seed from/split to propogate. This will leave you with a garden you can tidy up once in the autumn. Outside of this it largely looks after itself. The birds/butterflies etc love it.
Good advice, John. You've described my garden well, too - thankfully!

First Report of House Sparrow Dissaperance in the US?

This is my first post. I'm not really a birder, just an increasingly rare American who can actually identify a few birds and enjoys bird songs.

As far as the House Sparrows, people in the US may get their wish. Here in Pittsburgh, PA, after several winter seasons of the House Sparrows being pretty much pests, they have, since the fall, virtually dissapeared. No more of that of that loud, not-so plesant "cheap!...cheap!" on all but colder winter mornings.

I figured it was probably just local overpopulation here in the city - but I am seeing very few in the suburbs too then googled the subject and found it is happening worldwide - except, until now, the Americas.

Now, I welcome the increasing number of native birds that seem to be replacing them in my older urban neighborhood (nothing special - Juncos, song sparrows; heard a house finch yesterday morning). Nonetheless, like the Canary used to detect high CO in a coal mine - and the dead Budgie's in the kitchen warning us of the toxic materials in teflon cookware. I am worrying what exactly is killing them and it's possible implications.

I have trouble believing I am the first person reporting vanishing House Sparrows in the US. Anyone else in North America noticing anything?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back