• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rebel Woodpigeon Chick (2 Viewers)

Hello, in my Garden there is a woodpigeon chick that is acting very unusual for its age for the past few days. When the bird was just 2 weeks old, it strayed out of the nest into a birch tree in the neighbor's garden, and stayed there almost all day although the parents did visit to feed it. This concerned me because woodpigeon chicks normally don't leave the nest until they are at least 30 days old. However, at evening, the chick returned to the nest, accompanied by a parent. Since then, the chick spends most of the time in the nest, but sometimes strays away onto nearby branches in the tree, and sometimes is fed by parents outside the nest. Now, the chick is 3 weeks old, and should be another week until fledging. I still don't understand those outings the baby had despite not being fully able to fly, which would make it vulnerable to predators. Can anyone explain this to me?

Hello, in my Garden there is a woodpigeon chick that is acting very unusual for its age for the past few days. When the bird was just 2 weeks old, it strayed out of the nest into a birch tree in the neighbor's garden, and stayed there almost all day although the parents did visit to feed it. This concerned me because woodpigeon chicks normally don't leave the nest until they are at least 30 days old. However, at evening, the chick returned to the nest, accompanied by a parent. Since then, the chick spends most of the time in the nest, but sometimes strays away onto nearby branches in the tree, and sometimes is fed by parents outside the nest. Now, the chick is 3 weeks old, and should be another week until fledging. I still don't understand those outings the baby had despite not being fully able to fly, which would make it vulnerable to predators. Can anyone explain this to me?
The chick still strays from the nest, nearing 4 weeks of age

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back